Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Thai vendors on eBay

orchidnick
14 years ago

There are several Thai vendors regularly offering plants on eBay. Some neat, hard to get stuff. CITES and Phytosanitary apparently is only GBP15 (Great Brittain Pound, GBP 1 = US$1.60) and shipping also does not appear to be much. I was quoted shipping cost of GBP35 for 25 plants which comes to about US$2.00 per plant, including paperwork the cost of bringing a plant in would be less than $3.00 which compares favorable to the usual shipping costs on eBay. I have an import permit which, by the way is free and easy to obtain.

I'm thinking of trying one of these guys, has anyone had experience with any of them?

Nick

Comments (6)

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Nick,

Since you already have an import permit and since you are experienced at using it, go ahead and order directly from a Thai vendor! If you need to meet a certain $minimum$ and you need some help, I'm sure that your local OS members would LOVE the thrill of sharing an order from a source country! That's been my experience with Brasilian orders.

Why fart around with eBay? Professionals are better when it comes to imports. You already know that!

--Stitz--

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stitz

I agree with everything you said, I'm going to make contact through eBay but I'm sure they also have a shopping cart one could utilize. I won't need a partner as the $ amount will not be overwhelming. The real problem I have is that we are about to descend into Winter, I would need to land these plants in the next 3 to 4 weeks in order to give them half a chance to establish before the winter rains and temperature drop, maybe I'll wait until Spring.

My question relates to which of the three main vendors that I have seen sell on eBay would be the best contact. If some one asked me that question about Australian vendors I think I could give some advice at this time. I have zero experience with Thai vendors but, if no one else has either, will simply pick one and give it a shot. I have seen them advertise some neat stuff that I have never seen before at the shows.

Who was your Brazilian seller? I just bought a whole bunch of neat stuff from Ecuador, nothing one could not get at our shows but at a major reduction in price, no need to import either as they brought it and I picked it up the next time they set foot in the US. Email me for details if interested.

Nick

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Alvim Seidel, Orquidario Catarinense.
    Corupa, Santa Catarina, Brasil.

• sakeofsilence
    14 years ago

I noticed one of the vendors has a gold medal insignia.

• crueltyfre
    14 years ago

ttn-kingdom is the Thai seller who sent me that ryhn that got confiscated at JFK. My sister had bought it for me as a gift so she contacted them and got her money back with no hassle, but I never got the orchid.
    Lori

• jerry_meola
    14 years ago

There seems to be a problem with improper certificates or lack of certificates from ebay sellers.

They also ship by mail and 2-3 weeks delilvery can happen. The plants are shipped bare root (or quarenteen will be required) and that long a shipment will do a lot of damage to bare root seedlings.

I had a firend order some and they were 100% dead and no paperwork although they were not confiscated. I think the vendors assume that most will get through without paperwork even though it is smuggling.