Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please look at my orchid and advise: repot or not

Posted by tomatotomata 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 13:25

I think this is a phal (the tage just says Anthura, which I think is a business name). I have had it for 3-4 years, in the same pot, in an office with no natural light. Each year it grows a new leaf. Never blooms.
Now I have it at home, where is it getting medium, no direct, light, and it seems to be happy. It has 2 tiny new leaves coming in.

So here's the question: should I wait to repot until after the 2 new leaves have grown in? Or can I go ahead now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please look at my orchid and advise: repot or not

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 13:55

I would repot it now. The sooner the better, if it hasn't been done for years. Remember if it has a small root system put it in a smaller pot just large enough to get the roots in.

o

The leaves look well. So does the crown.
With seeing image of the plant and its media, I would repot the plant. For me, New Zealand sphaghum moss in a clay pot works well. The root mass will dictate the size of the pot. Trim any dead or decaying roots. A solution of SuperThrive or a vitamin B1 will help in restoring plant shock. Don't allow water to collect in the crown. Mist the plant in the morning or during the day (not night) to increase humidity. This will help promote root growth. Don't keep the growing media soaking wet.

o

To get your plant to bloom place it in an area where it will receive temperatures between 55 - 60 for at least 2 weeks. Outside in a shaded area is great.

o

You just need a difference of 20 deg. From day to night to produce bloom spike. Cooler at night of course.

o

• Posted by sffog 10/SanFran (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 11:59

how long do you need to expose the plant to the 20 deg difference? a week ? a month? or until you see a spike?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here