Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avsforme

I LOVE Lowe's!!!

avsforme
9 years ago

I have collected 30 or so Phals over the years, all are NOIDs. My husband saved them for me from the "plant chuckers", the plant guys who throw out the Phals after they have flowered, that are in some of the board rooms at my husband's office. I have also bought some from Trader Joe's and occasionally Lowe's. I was in Lowe's the other day buying a new plant stand and lights for my African Violets and noticed a bunch of non flowering Phals, on closer inspection the big ones that were normally $16.99 were marked down to $3.00 and the small ones that were normally $9.99 were marked down to $1.00!! Some of the $1.00 little ones were not savable as all the leaves fell right off when I picked them up. I did save all 6 of the little ones that could be saved and 6 of the bigger ones, only one of the bigger ones looked a bit beat up but I can probably save it. I have good luck getting Phals to set new spikes, thank goodness. I may go back Tuesday and see if any of the other big ones are still there, I hate to think of them getting tossed into the dumpster! I an very much into semi hydroponics and will get these guys into the pots and clay balls when my order comes in. :0)

Comments (10)

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I found the clearance rack at my Lowes yesterday, it they were not as low priced as what you found.
    I came home with one mini phal for $4.00

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

Sometimes it's a deal just for the pot.

Bob

• tanie51
    9 years ago

You guys are lucky. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and found this phals for $7.88 and thought I died and went to haven! Normally they were $14.99. I thought I didn't want to have any more phal but for the price and the color I couldn't resist.

Tanie

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Here's another one.

• avsforme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PRETTY!!! They sure are like potato chips arn't they!! I am starting back up with my African Violets now too (last time I lost all 326 of my AVs in an ice storm when the power was out for 4 days), just ordered 35 pairs of leaves...it starts..........

• shahm0nsterr
    9 years ago

Lowe's is great for clearance plants I have found.
    In fact, my first ever orchid was from a clearance rack at lowe's and I have babied it back to life!

As for prime specimen orchids, Trader Joe's is the absolute best place to buy! Every week they have at least 100 new orchids to choose from, and they range from 7.99 to 12.99 for large phals. (these are normally $20 or more at other grocery stores or garden centers. They are always in perfect condition too!

• avsforme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought 5 small Phaleonopsis at Trader Joe's for $7.99 a great price for Phals!! I may go in and get more after I get a rack set up for the orchids (running out of windowsills)...after I switch all my current orchids over to semi-hydroponics, after I get all the AV leaves I ordered potted up....UGH!!! ;0)

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

I love lowes too! I just bought one big phal for 6.99 for a Labor Day sale. My husband also purchased a mini phal for 1.00 as well. They take forever to bloom again. The bigger phalaenopsis are just so easy to get to bloom again. I also have an oncidium. Another easy one I highly recommend to people. I haven't ever been to a Trader Joe's but I think one just opened somewhere in my area. I need another plant stand between my orchids and plumerias.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Trader Joe's is terrific. They have a great selection of Phalaenopsis and other orchids/ house plants. Great rescue site for Phals out of bloom :-)>

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Shoosh people, stop talking about Trader Joe's for orchids, or thousands of people may hear, and the secret will be out!

The only gripe I have with them is I wish they'd label their orchids with names of crosses. But yeah, the plants are absolutely gorgeous, and cheap. In New York area, you cannot buy things like Oncidiums and Brassia and Miltonia and Dendrobiums anywhere else, unless it's tripple the price at specialized flower stores, and not even most of them. Nothing but Phals are sold at Lowes and Home Depots here, ever.

I have never seen Lowes (or Home Depot for that matter) discount their plants anywhere even close to a dollar in stores close to me. My very first orchid was a Lowes Phal at 50% off, from $25 to $12.50, and I was as happy as can be. It was out of bloom, drowning under drenching rain, and as it turned out at home, had just a couple of root stumps that looked half-dead. In retrospect now, more than a year later, it was not a good deal at all - even though the plant is alive and doing well, although it has not flowered yet.

Apparently, very often big box stores here have a "Pay by Scan" agreement with their nursery suppliers where they pay to nurseries only for the plants they sell. Those plants on the shelves do not even belong to the store, I hear. In that game, it never makes sense for stores to discount plants too much - they just return them to the nursery instead or chuck them and never pay a dime for them.

When I was returning a plant I changed my mind on (not an orchid, and in a perfectly fine condition), the Lowes returns lady just extended her trash can to me and said to put it there. They are not allowed to put returned plants back on the shelves. This is crazy talk! (And way to feel your customers guilty, Lowes!)

I am not much of a "plant saver"; personally think it's not worth it for me or even generally (plants can be propagated very easily and cheaply) - but it's the business practices of these stores that are often appalling to me. Of course, with their sales reach and volume, they can dictate to nurseries pretty much any terms they want.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022