Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing any of these little guys

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 14:53

I received my order from Lynn O'Shaughnessy today. Really nice plants and packed very well. Since they all came in kind of temporary pots in sphag, I have to figure out what I want to put them in. I think my choices are tree fern or sphag, but I would like to hear what others are using if you have any of these. I'm leaning more towards tree fern for some of them since the other Restrepia plants I grow have thrived on small pieces of tree fern in clay pots.

Here's what I received:

Barbosella dolichorhiza

Dryadella barrowii

Dryadella lilliputiana

Dryadella zebrina

Lepanthopsis astrophora 'Stalky'

Lepanthopsis vinacea

Restrepia chameleon

Restrepiopsis pandurata 'Free Spirit'

Trisetella cordeliae

She also threw in a Lepanthes species for free.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing any of these little guys

Kevin, I grow the Lepanthopsis astrophora in a 1" plastic pot in sphag (I change the sphag every 6 months). Medium shade, warmish temps, high humidity.

I don't grow any of the others, but I do grow a Dryadella edwallii, a warm grower. It's mounted on cork with a small bit of sphag and hung in a clear plastic highball glass with a 1/2" of water in the bottom. I believe the zebrina will grow the same way.

Also grow four Barbosella species -- australis, dussenii, handroi and an unidentified species from Peru -- which are mostly bareroot mounted and hung up in medium shade the GH.

The Restrepia sounds interesting. I am growing three different ones, including a hybrid, bareroot mounted. Restrepias don't mind going completely dry for a couple days at a time; they are not as picky as most Pleurothallids.

I killed a Trisetella triglochin once so I guess any advice wouldn't count.

o
RE: Anyone growing any of these little guys

Many, many thanks CJ for that. I was wondering if some of these might do well mounted. Now I know what works for you at least.

Lynn has a really nice selection of Restrepia. I had more on my original wish list, but ended it up with only one. I might have to place another order at some point. I remember someone once saying these plants like just a hint of dryness between waterings, so that's what I've been doing and it's the reason I grow them on tree fern. So far it's really worked for me. I find those little alien flowers just the cutest things.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here