Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diagnose orchid problem

Posted by OR_KID Nova Scotia (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 15:24

I'm looking for a diagnosis of what is wrong with my Lori's Star Dedrobium. It appears to develop brown spots on the new leaves emerging from new spikes. If I don't cut off the area of the leaves affected by these spots the whole leaf turns yellow and falls off.

The spots first appear on the underside of the leaves then spread out laterally and on the top of the leaf. Older leaves seem to be affected differently developing spots too but the leaves do not yellow and fall off.

It appears some of my other orchids have this blight too...but are affected differently (and not as bad)

So I have two questions:
1. What am I dealing with?
2. Can I get rid of it, and if so how?

If it is a fungus it appears I will need some sort of systemic treatment (ie that is absorbed into the plant via roots or leaves). I've tried sulphur and sulphur based fungicides to no effect. I live in Canada in the Maritimes. Is there anything I can purchase off the shelf?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diagnose orchid problem

You have a Formosum Type Dendrobium which under some growing conditions are considered difficult.
Fungus spots may be an indicator that the plant is not happy. If your conditions are not too bad you could try using one of preventative treatments such as echo oil which is based on Canola Oil that puts a preventative film on the leaves to stop the fungus getting in. Once those black scars are there, they are forever even if the fungus is stopped from spreading.

o

Thanks arthurm

I'm wondering if the fugus is already in the plant. perhaps it's not so clear from this image but it looks like the three newest leaves on one of the new canes are yellowing and drying out?

o

Sorry, i am not an expert on fungus, but from my experience it is more likely to attack on dewy autumn nights when the fungus spores can penetrate the leaf surface. Ditto, if the plant is growing in unsuitable conditions and its natural resistance is weakened.
When i said that those Formosum Types Dens are difficult I was referring to here. latitude 33S. Over 1000 orchids exhibited by members of a local orchid society in the last year and nil Formosum Type Dens.
Check the net for culture notes to see if your conditions are close to those recommended. The plant doesn't look in bad condition but take note that i have tried to grow these beauties several times and they died Sigh!
Hopefully, someone with more success will answer your question

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here