Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Greenhouse Vinyl?

Posted by helga1 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 16:05

I have a 14x20 Quanset-Hut-type-of GH. The vynil has been on for over 10 yrs. Is has not been damaged, but I suspect the light has become inhibited by age, dust,water spots, etc. It works good during the hottest time of the summer, but now with winter coming on, which is dreary here in the NW, I am questioning the wisdom of replacing it.

Please share your experience with me.

Helga.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Greenhouse Vinyl?

Hi Helga, you must live in a fairly dust free part of the world. I have to clean the grime off glasshouse roofs at least once a year to maintain optimum light levels.

So how long does vynil last? I know that the old fashioned fibreglass stuff clouded over and became useless after a couple of years.

The roof on one of my glasshouses has been replaced by stuff called lazerlite. .Might be called something else in the USA.

o
RE: Replacing Greenhouse Vinyl?

Thank you arthurum. Yes, we live in the country -nothing but trees and meadows around. The summers are sunny and quite warm, during which the GH is protected by 50% shade cloth.
Our winter weather is mostly cloudy, gray, rainy. I have an HD light over the middle table(cattlayas) on from 4:00 a.m to 7:00 a.m., but suspect it is not enough light all around, especially, since the HD bulb is also 3 yrs. old.
I hate to do away with an undamaged vinyl, but may not have a choice.

I have been growing orchids for 8 yrs. now, still consider myself a novice.

Appreciate your thoughts, Arthur.

Helga.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here