Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ailment ID if possible

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 16:23

Im not sure when this ugliness first appeared, but I think about 1 years ago. Its only on the old PBs and none of the new growth since seems affected. I think the black blotches have gradually gotten larger, but rather slowly. The PBs are dry, still firm no mushiness or anything like that. Black death? Sunburn? Any clues? Im actually kind of embarrassed by this since I usually take pretty good care of my plants.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ailment ID if possible

I don't think it's sunburn, mainly based upon the patterning of the blotches ie those concentrated black blobs. I actually had a similar problem one year, when I decided to grow my plants out doors, and lots of my them acquired brown blobs on leaves and pbulbs. The brown patches remained quite dry and hard, but spread slowly. I got the infection under control by treating with phyton 27 (repeatedly). The patches turned completely dry, black, and stopped spreading.

I heard somewhere that bacterial infections typically spread quite quickly, and result in mushy patches due to the rapid necrosis and collapse of the cells, whereas fungal infections are slower and are not as mushy. Not sure if this is a hard set rule though. It seems strange that you've had this for over a year and it's still growing - that's really slow.

If it were my plant, since it looks like you have lots of pseudobulbs, I would cut one off and get it sent off to some university that can figure out whether something needs to be done about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here