Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

Repotting Enclycia Cordigera orchid

philpet
9 years ago

Hi everyone, so I HAD to repot my enclycia orchid it was in a six inches pot and looks as if it had not been repotted in years.it was so rootbound when I tried to remove it from the pot which was plastic the pot broke apart. The roots were all rotted and I had to remove all except about three. Or so on the new leads. After removing the rotted roots the plant came apart in two different sections. From what I read, it likes a course potting mix(it came in charcoal and fir bark) so I made a mix of strafoam,perlite,a bit of bark and lots of charcoal.I didn't have any clear four" pots so I use two five" pots instead. I want to be able to see what's happening inside the pots. They both have two new growths towards the front plus smaller ones to the side.now I am a bit on the downside with these types of plants(killed two). So my question is will they be ok this way? Is the potting mix ok? Are the pots ok? We don't get winter here so will repotting them now be ok? Lots of questions I know but I really don't want to loose them.thanks to anyone with experience on these plant who could point me in the right direction with them.Velleta

Comments (8)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Velleta,
    They look well potted. The common mistake is to plant them too deep. Yours are just right. It would not work for me. I water every day so I would drown them in that. Enc. like water but they need to be dry by night. I'n not sure of the watering formula the way that it is potted but I'm sure there is a way.

Mine are in clay pots and lava rock. I water early and there is time for them to dry. And I water every day. With plastic you cannot.
    Good luck

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Shavedmonkey, so I got the potting depth correct great.my waterings are every five to seven days and I can always reajust to suit its needs. My collection is managable so it wouldn't be a problem.I didn't know what should be added to its mix so I just went with trial. I figured it would retain a bit of moisture but drains quickly. Ok thanks again for you imput. I will add some more holes to the pots to help it with more ventilation,seeing you said it likes to get dry quickly. Vellta

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone, so after four months my Enclycia has finally shown one new root growthðÂÂÂ, I am so happy because I was thinking it was not gonna make it, it had lost one of the old psudobulbs leaving only one plus the two little growths which had not produced any roots.there are two of them but only this one grew a root. I sort of kept it on the dry side because of fear of rotting it. So now I need help , should I keep it a bit more moist to prevent the new developing roots from drying out now that it's trying to grow or what should I do now? I just saw the root today and it was in the open so I placed a bit of moss around it to help it retain a bit more moist.anyone who has any experience with this plant please advise, it will be more than welcome.thanks for any help provided. Velleta

• KrysSmall
    9 years ago

Wow Velleta...Looks like you're doing a pretty good job with this orchid. My novice advice would be to keep doing what you're doing. I have never seen an encyclia for sale in any plant nursery I've been to and I would love to have at least one in my collection. Where did you acquire this one?

Krystal

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Krystal, hope you had a wonderful holidays. Ok so I got this plant (Enclycia Cordegera ) from Hamlyn Orchids, Mr Claude hamilton at an orchid show in montego bay, last year. It's a really nice one and has a beautiful scent during the day . I already killed 2 so I really want to win with this oneðÂÂÂ.i was so excited when I saw the new root after 4 months of it just sitting there. They are in kingston so I am sure you must know of them. I don't know if they have any plants now but you could call and find out or order it from them. I ordered some lady slippers too and should receive them by the end of this month.If you don't have a number I have one so send me an email and I will give it to you or email me your # if you want and I will call you.thats the best I can help you withðÂÂÂ.my email is vellitatardiel@gmail.com. ðÂÂÂ.velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone, so after four months my Enclycia has finally shown one new root growthðÂÂÂ, I am so happy because I was thinking it was not gonna make it, it had lost one of the old psudobulbs leaving only one plus the two little growths which had not produced any roots.there are two of them but only this one grew a root. I sort of kept it on the dry side because of fear of rotting it. So now I need help , should I keep it a bit more moist to prevent the new developing roots from drying out now that it's trying to grow or what should I do now? I just saw the root today and it was in the open so I placed a bit of moss around it to help it retain a bit more moist.anyone who has any experience with this plant please advise, it will be more than welcome.thanks for any help provided. Velleta

{{gwi:2118955}}

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I think I would remove the moss. I'm currently expanding my experience with Enc. 1 1/2 years ago we had a grower that specialized in Enc. He told me they like water but must drain and dry. The moss might be a problem. Planting it high on the medium helps the drying process. Otherwise do what you have been doing. The plant is responding to your love and care. Water early in the day so it can dry out.

I've grown them before too wet and failed. I grow them in clay pots with lava rock. This configuration allows me to water early and daily.

Roots to any plant is like a heart to a human. Strong and healthy roots means a productive plant. I use Maxi-crop. It is a norwegion seaweed juice that has naturally occurring humic acid, a root stimulator. What a game changer. Those tipless roots will grow large translucent tips and the good roots get better. It is concentrated and goes a long way.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi shavedmonkey ðÂÂÂ, thanks for responding , and I think you might be right about removing the spagnum, in the above pic if you look closely the top root would be the first one it grew and I covered it , but today when I looked I realized the very tip was not as healthy looking as the other four it grew that were uncovered. So I will just remove it completely, the other new growth has also started to produce roots so hopefully I am now on my way, thanks so much for respondingðÂÂÂ.Velleta

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH