Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowell_gw

San Francisco vendors

flowell
13 years ago

I am going to San Francisco for vacation. does anyone know of any orchid vendors in the area?

Comments (10)

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Golden Gate, Hawk Hill is a good start.

Nick

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Marnie Turkel has wonderful species but is not exactly in SF but close.

Nick

• richardol
    13 years ago

Hanging Gardens, just south in Daly City. Marnie is worth the drive but call ahead for either of these, and, I think Golden Gate, they are by appointment only.

Check the schedule for Orchid Mania, they are in the city and have open times but again, no drop-in.

SFOS meeting is the first Tuesday, 9th ave and Lincoln.

• ginnibug
    13 years ago

Have fun you two!!! Even though my eyes are green with envy ( ok never mind that, my eyes are green all the time) LOL. ginnibug

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Give us a report what you saw and what you bought when (if) you get back. At Golden Gate you'll see wonderful, irresistible Dend cuthbersonii. Unless you have confirmed that you can grow them in your area, buy one small one ($25.00) only and then get more if it does well. If for some reason you make it to Sacramento and if you like Bulbos, visit Howard Gunn, he has 360 different ones.

Nick

• richardol
    13 years ago

If you go to Sacramento, Gold Country is the place to go. Min-catts among other things.

• flowell
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Marni Turkle was out of town so I was not able to visit her. I did go to Hanging Gardens in Pacifica. Dan Newman had a great greenhouse and was so interesting to talk to. He had lots of cool Masdevallia's blooming. He grows some incredible cooler growing species. I bought some Maxillarias and great Odont's. I would love to go back and spend more time at his greenhouses and visit with him. I woudl recomend any of his plants as they were all healthy and well cared for.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

you'll see wonderful, irresistible Dend cuthbersonii

Nick, for a while I have wondered WTF is a Dend cuthbersonii. Last weekend, I finally saw one. It is cute & colourful.

I put 2+2 together at the local show. At $55 per hit, discounted from $60?? For a dinky 2.5" potted plant? NO WAY!!

I ass-u-me that you get a "cut" from the sale of all cuthbersonii in North America? :)

--Stitz--

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Galden Gate sells their 2" or 2 1/2" pots for $25, a larger version at least 3" is $65. He has 4 different varieties at this time. Try the small ones and if they like your conditions, get a bigger one. In my dreams do I get a cut for everyone sold!

Nick

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

This is the end of their blooming season so the flowers that are supposed to last 9 month will fall of soon if you get one now. New ones come in the spring and last till the end of fall. Tom tells me that he removes flowers from youg plants soon so they have a break.

Nick