Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please look at my orchid

Posted by lauronb (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 19:56

Hello,
I hope you can help me. I live in SW Florida, I've inherited several orchids from my mother that I'm trying to keep alive & healthy. I don't know the type of orchid as she did not have labels on them. They seem to have very leggy stalks. Some w/stalks only, some w/leaves at the ends of the long stalks & some w/leaves & roots sprouting at the end of the stalk. I'm feeling they should be re-potted & perhaps 'reshaped' somehow. I've spent quite a bit of time searching the internet, but can only seem to find info about pruning the bloom stalks. I'd like to know if these long stalks should be pruned in some way, they just don't seem to look like the healthy orchids I've seen on the internet. I've attache 4 photos in hopes that it will help my explanation.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please look at my orchid

Can only see one picture. It is a warm growing hard-cane Dendrobium that needs a tidy up. Doesn't like night temps much below about 55F and needs to grow in "summer" and flower in "autumn" or "winter" after a slight cooling down.
Exact culture might depend on how far you are from the gulf stream....Heated glass-house orchid here.
Needs to be staked vertically and tied to keep it tidy. cut off any dead growths at the back, but be aware that you need to keep 4 or 5 growths plus the growing lead.
Probably needs new potting material and repotting. Maybe just do the tidy up for now and repot in " Spring" but the action you take depends on your micro climate.

o

The leggey stalks are actually elongated bulbs, which on a
dendrobium are called canes. The reason some canes have leaves and others don't is because dendrobiums are deciduous, meaning they drop their leaves. Some lose them every year, others every two years or so. Don't cut off any of the canes as they can rebloom. You can cut off the dried brush, stems left over from blooming. Whenever you
repot, use the smallest pot possible to accommodate the roots as dens bloom better with tight shoes.

o

Seems to be a "common" evergreen or phalaenopsis-type hybrid denrobium. (The deciduous types are commonly the nobile dendrobiums that form canes in the summmer, then need a certain amount of winter chill and bloom in the spring.)
The plant looks leggy because it might have had a tendency to be under shade or "stretched" to reach adequate light. You can tidy up the plant by staking it and wiring the canes. As previously mentioned by others, dendrobiums do best when grown in a tight container: not overpotted. Growers often pot them in heavy clay pots because the plant can become rather top heavy. IF you live in S.W. Florida, I would stay away from bark mixes (they rot easily in your climate). Plant in volcanic rock, clay pellets, or a mix of tree fern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here