Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjwatson_gw

Sept What's Blooming for You Thread

cjwatson
14 years ago

We're coming to the beginning of autumn (Aussie spring) and while it may only be our imagination in some cases, the air seems a wee bit cooler and fresher.

This is usually a good time for orchids. The shortening day-lengths trigger some plants to bloom, and cooler temps trigger others. So, what's blooming for you this first week of September?

Comments (36)

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Lc. Fire Dance 'Alyshia'
    lc. Fire Dance 'Patricia'
    Den. Yukidaruma 'King'
    Den. kingianum 'Red 337'
    Osmoglossum pulchellum
    40 spikes on various Tolumnia Hybrids
    Too many to list Australian Native Dendrobium Hybrids
    A couple of neglected Cymbidiums
    AND
    perhaps it might rain later today. There is such a thing as too much sunshine....

• terpguy
    14 years ago

So far:

Miniature Nobile: Blooming off season while trying to establish in S/H, so the flower are TINY compared to normal.

Also in bud/spike:
    Cattleya Angel Bells 'Suzie' AM/AOS
    Angraecum Veitchii
    Phal Kuntrari Rarashati

• meg_w (9b) Bradenton
    14 years ago

In bloom now:

Odontonia Tropical Heat Wave ÂEvergladesÂ
    Odontocidium Sunlight ÂHilo HoneyÂ
    Phalanopsis Jungo Viortis X P. violacea
    Den. Haleahi Sweethearts 'Bloomer' X Haleahi Lipstick 'Lancelot'
    Den. Compactum Gouldii X Udom Blue-Blue
    Den. Burana Q ÂEima-LaiÂ
    Laeliocattleya Mary Elizabeth Bohn ÂRoyal FlareÂ

• jank
    14 years ago

Darwinara Charm 'Blue Star'
    Mtssa. Pelican Lake 'Everglades' AM/AOS
    Vanda Miss Joaquim
    Vanda Ruby Prince
    Lc.(Percepolis x Shellie Compton) x Ctna. Maui Maid 'Fringe'
    Ctna. Why Not
    Phal. Cameo (blooming since 2/07)
    Ionopsis species
    Den. bigibum (white with dark purple center)
    Den. Green Lantern
    Den. Lorrie Mortimer
    Den. Haleahi/Baby Dolphin 'Easter Blue'x Blue Twinkle 'Poly'
    Den. Stratiotes x Den. Hirota
    Den. Somkait Blue
    Den. Medy Stripe
    Den. Banana Panda
    Den. Concert Cana
    Epidendrum radicans
    Spathoglottis Plicata
    A dozen noid phal-type dendrobiums

Hoping it will STOP raining soon--the catts do not like this

• richardol
    14 years ago

{{gwi:196018}}Right now the star of the show is Dendrobium Stephen Batchelor. I took a new flower picture this morning. This is the second of the three divisions of the original plant to bloom.

{{gwi:196019}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

• jank
    14 years ago

Opening this morning:

Lc. Tahoe Rose v. coerulea
    Miltassia My Dream 'Berry Nice'
    Den. Rain Bow

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some species which are in bloom here at this time of the year:

Aerangis punctata
    Angraecum dollii
    Angraecum erectum (sold as firthii, still no sure)
    Brassavola nodosa
    Brassavola nodosa 'Mickey Mouse'
    Brassavola nodosa 'Susan Fuchs x Gundlach'
    Christensonia vietnamica
    Chroniochilus virescens
    Clowesia russelliana
    Dendrobium lamellatum 'Sabah'
    Dendrobium oligophyllum
    Encyclia bracteata (almost always in bloom)
    Eurychone rothschildiana
    Jumellea confusa
    Lepanthopsis astrophora 'Stalky'
    Masdevallia erinacea (horrida)
    Phal bellina (bought in bloom)
    Phal tetrapsis (bought in bloom)
    Phal venosa (bought in bloom)
    Restrepia striata
    Restrepia trichoglossa
    Scaphyglottis cuneata
    Schoenorchis buddleiflora
    Trichoglottis seidenfadenii (T. tomentosa)
    Vanda insignis

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Richard that is STUNNING. I love this hybrid...great photos. There's something about that flower shape and the colour contrast in the lip that's very attractive.

You all need to post more photos in the gallery! Please? :)

Currently in blooming/about to bloom for me:

Aerangis punctata
    Aerangis kirkii
    Aerangis mystacidii
    Aerangis splendida
    Aerangis distincta
    Aeranthes grandiflorus
    Cattleya forbesii
    Dendrobium Wings of Gold
    Dendrobium Tobaense

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

terp, what is the leaf span on that Angraecum Veitchii? I've been looking at that hybrid for a long time, but don't have room for any monster orchids.

Richard, that is a gorgeous Den!

Arthur, just how many Tolumnias do you have?

Calvin, I want your kirkii. I kept putting off buying it from Cal-Orchids, and the next thing you knew, the dealer had sold out ... sigh.

• arthurm
    14 years ago

About 300 Tolumnia Zelemnia etc. Peak blooming October (late Spring). Not recommending them as many people bump them off with too much kindness.

I think H & R are keen on those New Guinea Den Hybrids. Only have one but looking forward to seeing it bloom after seeing pic in above post.

• terpguy
    14 years ago

CJ, it's not excessively huge. LS is maybe 14-16 inches wide. Got it BS from oak hill during my internship at the Chicago botanic gardens, i think 2005 and it's done beautifully.

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

I am envious of your pending Aerangis punctata blooms... Mine is only a seedling, which has done very well, but it's highly doubtful it will bloom this year. My crazy kirkii is budding up on multiple spikes, but so far only one or two buds on each. I count at least five spikes developing. If they all bloom I will be ecstatic! Aerangis biloba appears to be in early spike as well. And as always, Pleurothallis alata is still blooming, even though I repotted it into new sphag and it seems a little cranky with me.

CJ, I got my crazy kirkii from SBOE. They don't have it listed online, but they had it when I emailed them. I call it the crazy kirkii because it grows like mad.

I love that Dend too, Richard. It's gorgeous!

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, terp, I am going to see if I can fit one in.

quinnfyre, thanks for the tip on the kirkii. I'll e-mail them. The Aerangis punctata is uncoiling its spur now and the flower should be open tomorrow. It originally came from Oak Hill five years ago and bloomed the following year and since. It's very dependable; spikes in July, blooms in Sept. Both bilobas are in spike, as is the mooreana. But the spike has stalled on the Aerangis (biloba x distincta).

Where is MrB? I'll bet he has a ton of Angs in bloom!

• orchid_addict
    14 years ago

Paph Maudiae x Paph fairrieanum
    Den Biggibum var compactum
    2 Den noid with purple flowers
    Onc Twinkle 'Red Fantasy'
    Ocdm Wildcat 'Bobcat'
    Mtdm Howard Gerber 'Night Dancers' and some crazy den keikis that have spikes
    I hope I didn't forget any...lol

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Q - the punctata is REALLY small - the leaves are smaller than the size of a quarter. Actually when I got it, it had a main growth and a single little small side growth. Weirdly, the main growth completely died, but the side growth expanded.

CJ - I hope you post photos of your dollii! That one is stunning. Also, biloba x distincta has been on my want list for a while now...I've actually been dying for someone to produce a biloba x distincta x kirkii cross...I'll probably get some flak for saying that though! :-X

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Calvin, it started two spikes, blasted one, and produced this one flower. This is the species in the photo on the back cover of Joyce Stewart's "Angraecoid Orchids." It's been a long nervous wait. Now to find someone with an Angraecum dollii for a pollen-share next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:196014}}

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Was out in the greenhouse this morning and found that my Diplocaulobium tipuliferum is in bloom; hadn't even noticed any spikes or buds. This is a shade-loving Dendrobium relative. The flowers only last a day or two but it blooms several times a year.

Also found a big bud on an Angraecum didieri. I had killed the previous two plants and this time I pulled off all the sphag that it came mounted with. Third's the charm I guess.

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Congrats on the didieri! Mine looks like it's not going to do anything this season besides grow roots and leaves. Please post photos of the diplocaulobium if you get a chance though! This is one of my favorite genera although you're right, they do have a tragically short bloom time

• littlem_2007
    14 years ago

hello,
    in bloom:
    phrag carol kanzer
    slc rajah ruby x mini purpla
    1 noid catt
    enclyclia fragrans
    vanda zengyo
    vanda princess mikasa blue
    vanda (looks like pine river blue - the tag faded in the sun)
    epidendrum thayer
    noid cymbidium (looks like golden elf - scent fills the whole in the evening)
    2 masd. marguerite
    broughtonia sang.
    7 phals
    in spike:
    aer. modesta
    gastrochilus acutifolius
    3 noid catts
    beall peggy ruth carpenter
    onc ornithorhynchum
    1 noid standard size cym. (have had this plant for 5 years - spikes every year in feb. this year had finished blooming in june - it is now spiking again - very strange)
    sue

• orchidobsessed
    14 years ago

Nothing in bloom, but: Paph charlesworthii x Garnet Fire "Vini"
    Slc Jeweler's Art "Waiomao Plum"
    and a NOID white phal
    are all in spike :D

• littlem_2007
    14 years ago

hi, forgot to include the sobrailia because the bloom lasted only one day. there is another bud in its place. I found the flower disappointing.
    sue

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Do it, CJ. Its a wonderful plant. If you need it I can get a pic of the plant with something for size reference.

How did you get your didieri to bloom now? or at all, for that matter?! When mine did bloom, it was in June like clockwork. But I haven't been able to bloom it in a few years, and don't understand why not. It grows hot/warm, getting cattleya light with watering every day/every other day :(

• terpguy
    14 years ago

The irony of my didieri is that the Veitchii it grows with blooms quite readily! Some plants are just cursed, i suppose.

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

terp, I bought this plant back in December from Oak Hill. It was mounted on a cedar shake (I think that's what they are, no one sells them here since they are against building code) with a big glob of sphag. Ripped off all the sphag leaving the plant bareroot on the mount. Instantly started to attach its roots to the low grooves in the wood. It is hanging near the roof of the GH, but although it gets some brighter light in the morning, it is in the shade almost the entire day. Water and fertilize it when I remember. GH maintains about 50-60% humidity and it has been mostly warm temps since I got the plant. The bud unfortunately has developed between one of the roots and the slab so it won't open properly -- needed to grow a longer spike, lol.

If you want a photo of how it is growing, send me a regular e-mail addy; I am not set up with a photo host site of my own and I only send flower photos to Yoshi. I don't want to take advantage of his kindness.

• kitfoxdrvr
    14 years ago

Surprised no Phrags listed yet. My 'Don Wimber" x grande is on the first of a three bud sequence. Three Paphs and a couple of Phals also.

Steve

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steve, this has been a peculiar summer here; we had a couple early weeks of 100F+ and then the rest of the summer has been cool for Pensacola; upper 80s day and even some nights down to 59F. My Phrag Silver Eagle usually blooms all summer long. But this year, there are only a couple of sheathes and no sign of buds yet. I kind of look forward to these flowers each year since my other two Phrags bloom in the winter. Maybe it's the weather, or maybe the plant needs to be divided and repotted.

• Sheila
    14 years ago

My phrags/paphs aren't started yet, they usually spike in October. Carol, if you divide that Silver Eagle, perhaps You'd be interested in a trade. I have a couple that will need to be divided.

Steve, littlem mentioned a phrag and I saw mention of a paph too.

One of my favs, B. Little Stars is finally opening some of it's spikes. I wish I could get this plant to bloom out its spikes all at one time, it would be fabulous. It's a small plant and started last month opening the first of five spikes. It does make it's bloom season long, so that's pleasing.

Apart from that one, I only have a few dends just starting, a couple phals still in bloom and a new one starting to bloom. Several more setting spikes. A fav catt Siam Jade is budding, numerous others in sheath but not showing buds yet....things are slooooow!

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sheila, If I decide to divide the Silver Eagle, it probably won't be until the spring. I'll let you know first. Here's a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:196016}}

• Sheila
    14 years ago

Beautiful bloom/photo!!! Please do keep me in mind when you divide.

• littlem_2007
    14 years ago

hello, Carol, your silver eagle is beautiful - it looks very much like my carol kanzer.
    sue

• kitfoxdrvr
    14 years ago

Your "Silver Eagle' is beautiful, Carol! I love that plant, need to get one of them. Most of my phrags are winter and spring bloomers, so that would be a wonderful addition to my small collection.

Steve

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some hybrids blooming now. Anyone else have these blooming?

Hybrids:
    Ascocenda Kathi Holst
    Bc (Bc. Nodata x C. Judge Treiman)
    Bc Star Ruby
    Bc Tripp's Grandma
    Bl Golden Glory
    Blc Everything Nice 'Showtime'
    Brassavola Crazyarachno
    Brassoepidendrum Winter Green
    Cattleya Quinquecolor
    Darwinara Charm 'Blue Star'
    Lc Luna
    Lc Schilleriana (L. purpurata x C. intermedia)
    Nakamotoara (N. falcata x Ascocenda Wichot?)
    Phal (Venus 'Little Stripes' x celebensis)
    Renanetia Sunrise 'Prasong'
    Rolfeara Creole (my ugliest orchid)
    Rumrillara Margaret's Jewels
    Schombavola (B. nodosa x Schb undulata) (2nd ugliest)
    Vanda (Meg Laughlin x Agatha Motes) 'Maui Spots'
    Vandachostylis Herbert Kurihara
    Vascostylis Viboon Velvet

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

For some reason I am really curious to see pics of the ugliest orchid, and the 2nd ugliest. You mean you find them ugly in general, or you find your particular ones ugly? Is it the bloom or the plant? I feel a little silly saying 'show off your ugliest plants!' but there it is.

Keeping it a little more on topic: Aerangis kirkii is about to bloom a few of its buds on a couple different spikes, Aerangis biloba is just starting to spike, and (exciting!) Chaemangis/microterangis hariotiana (anyone know which is the official name for this now?) is spiking, so if it makes it all the way to blooming, it will have bloomed twice this year.

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Both of my Microterangis/Chamaengis species usually bloom in late spring, early summer. Congrats on your spikes!

Okay, qf, you asked for it. I have a photo handy of my 2nd ugliest orchid, the Schombovola (B. nodosa x Schomb undulata). Need to take another photo of the Rolfeara Creole, my #1 Ugly.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:196017}}

• arthurm
    14 years ago

I would like to see the pics of those uglies.
    Count of Tolumnia Hybrid spikes is now 50. Including 5 on speculative cross
    Tolumnia Tom Wilson x Zelemnia Liz. Fingers crossed that the flowers do not turn out in the ugly category.
    Also have Restrepia cuprea in bloom. This little trooper survives my horrible conditions and produces a bloom every now and then.

• battu_co
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    My Sarcoglyphis comberi is blooming. The flowers are really small and insignificant but they look nice :)

{{gwi:196020}}

{{gwi:196021}}

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm