Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple dendrobium...

Posted by beautiful_porpoise wisconsin (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 22, 09 at 20:25

hi! i have developed a plant addiction over the past few months, and i accidentally went into trader joe's and bought an orchid. well, not really accidentally, but...

anyway, i've never had an orchid before, and i thought it'd be a nice addition :). i've read around that orchids need really high temperatures, but i live in wisconsin. recently it's been in the 70s during the day and the 40s-50s (i think?) at night. in the winter, it will be MUCH colder... i also read that they do not like direct sunlight, so i have it about seven feet away from a south-facing window. it's in the pot i bought it in, but i don't know if i should repot it into better soil? how frequently should i water it? will it be warm enough to survive here? should i move it closer/farther away from the window? should i mist it, because the humidity level isn't that high here?

thanks so much!! the orchid and i really appreciate it :).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple dendrobium...

First order of business: Put that plant in the sunlight. Dends must have tons of sunlight if you ever hope to have a flower. It still boggles my mind why there's info floating around out there that orchids do not want sunlight! Who writes this crap? The fact you live in WI and winter is approaching only increases the urgency for MORE light.

I'm assuming this is some sort of Dend phal hybrid? That's what's usually available in stores in this part of the country. When I grew these, I found simply window light was not adequate to grow or flower these and added some supplemental lighting during the winter. When summer arrived, they went outside in almost full sunlight. You have to remember, sunlight is not as intense here as it might be in FL for instance.

I'll let someone else speak to the other issues you raised, but for the moment - MORE LIGHT PLEASE!

Good luck

Kevin

o

Seven feet is practically dark. Bring it a lot closer to the window.

The no direct sun is a good rule of thumb, sunburn can happen very quickly, especially if the light is coming through glass. However, it is incomplete. Use the sunscreen analogy. You wouldn't go out without sunscreen in the middle four hours of the day, but would not worry about morning of afternoon sun. Same for orchids.

o

Latitude of MN is 45 North. Maybe the angle of the sun even in Mid summer reduces the risk of plant sunburn?

Here, Latitude 33 something South, nothing much will survive full (unscreened) Sunlight.

o

I believe you are correct Arthur.

We're also approaching that time of the year in the frozen north when cloud cover can last for days if not weeks at a time.

I took some brugmansia cuttings the other day, potted them up and placed them in an unobstructed, south window. Even with no roots, they haven't wilted a bit. Sunlight coming through our windows just isn't that intense right now and will continue to go downhill in the upcoming months.

K

o

ok, I'll address the "repotting in better soil" issue. NO soil...these don't grow in dirt. Not knowing what it's potted in now, I can't say much more, don't even know if it needs repotting, but if it does, no soil.
Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here