Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
libbynmike

identifying orchid

Libbynmike
9 years ago

Hello, please bare with me, as this is my 1st time ever posting on a forum. I am new into caring for orchids. I was given a group of green leafy stemmed stems and was told to "just stick it in some good soil". I've tried my best to figure out the name of this orchid. The best I came up with. I've also recently repotted my other orchids in semi-hydroponics. My 2 questions are, is this bamboo orchid and can they be grown in that media?
Thanks
Also, I do believe that white thing on bottom right corner is a root!! :-)

Comments (16)

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

They look a bit like reed-stemmed Epidendrums (Crucifix orchids) which have been grown in too much shade.

• Libbynmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response. I was originally told they might be epidendrum. But the more I internet research I did I couldn't confirm that or the fact that they can be grown in soil. Yes, they were planted in a soil and bark mix and put by south facing window. Am I killing them? :'(. And what are any thoughts on using hydroponics? Please help. I'm driving everyone in my house crazy due to my worrying. Thanks

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

This epi, known as radicans, is semi terrestrial. Soil and bark might be perfect. Most orchids will not like that. And these can also grow in bark mix only and lava rock only. And much more. I have some in lava rock and I have a variety of colors in mulch and decomposed mulch outdors. I live in Florida. Where are you?

• Libbynmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh. Perfect. I'm in florida also. I really want to be able to grow them indoors (if they will allow me :-). I've had them for about 5 weeks inside. 2 days ago I put them outside due to how sad they look. So lava rock should be ok? Will they grow in the house?

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Orchids go in the house when blooming. Outside all the rest of the time. Except when it is real cold. We can't change their DNA. They need to be outside! Morning sun is best.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Agree with ShavedMonkey. Mine grow outside in full sun all day. I'm in Florida and they seem to do fine. They need a lot of light and I don't think they would bloom well in the house. As stated, bring them in when in bloom.

I did grow them when I lived in NY. They went outside in full sun all summer. I did get blooms but nothing like I get in Florida. They like heat and sun.

Jane

• charles1979
    9 years ago

Guys I think I have the same orchid or at least a similar specie, please help me reconfirm. I have wondered what kind of orchid it was. I have it growing in bark only, and has the same roots (white) as yours Libbynmike. I also live in Florida.. I rescued it, since it was left abandoned, and was originally in soil.

• Libbynmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a follow up. It's been about 4 weeks, I've had this outside. Water almost daily. Am I correct in assuming the leaves look sunburned? What are the little roots?

• Libbynmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture

• Libbynmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more picture

• arthurm
    9 years ago

The little roots are normal. As for an id. That is impossible
    It could be a run of the mill id lost in time Epidendrum species/hybrid that you will see growing in gardens around here.
    It could be a superior type with larger flowers.
    It could be an intergeneric such as Epicattleya Nebo and so on.
    Those leaves do not look like those commonly seen as a garden plants, they are too large and limp.
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but an id has to be put on hold till blooms are seen.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    If it's Epi radicans they are incredibly easy to grow .Mix is not important unless it hols too much water..As long as the humidity holds they will grow epi.. they flower best in full sun My best are growing in a trough with a gritty mix in full sun.
    they flower for over 6 months there. Those that are attached to trees are more sporadic both in quantity and quality. One major problem with them is the habit,they grow straight up with the spike at the end which elongates making them susceptible to wind damage.
    Now if you have various hybrids or arundina (bamboo orchid) ignore the above lol. My guess would be epidendrum as Arundina tends to have very thin moveable leaves , thinnner stems and gets MUCH taller .
    First rule of growing orchids is know what you have there are a gazillion kinds ??
    I have no experience with indoor culture but would think them a bad choice as they require a lot of light?? gary

• arthurm
    9 years ago

There is a problem with Epi radicans is that the common garden plant might be that or something else, id. lost in the mists of time. There was a huge plant of it (whatever) growing on the golf course that dwindled away over the years as the surrounding trees grew larger and blocked the sunlight.
    As Gary says "a gazillion kinds". If you are lucky it could even be something like Epicattleya Nebo or Epidendrum Rene Marques. Do not know how to get accents to print. Lol.

• Libbynmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isn't there a way to identify these by pictures of what the cuttings looked like? (The person that gave them to me said to just stick them in good soil,and they were in a gallon size ziploc bag) But they haven't looked happy since i brought them home. I guess seeing roots is a positive sign. I'm just wondering if I should try 1 in semi-hydroponics? The soil is only 2 inches deep.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

The numbers 20,000 to 30,000 orchid species and 100,000 registered orchid hybrids are not helpful.
    Perhaps google arundia + orchid and select images then compare the leaves on the photos with your plants. Arundia = Bamboo orchid which is not widely grown by Orchid hobbyists.
    Hard to id almost any plant by foliage. Have a look the pics and maybe ask the plant donor what the flowers look like. They are nothing like Epidendrums.

• rafflesia
    9 years ago

Arachnis hookeriana. Or scorpion orchid. Maybe... I have a bunch of arachnis orchid and kinda look like that. I just plant it on the soil under coconut tree. They are good climber and very sturdy. At least here in equator

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions