Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Anyone try Bonide Insect Control - Scale?

jane__ny
13 years ago

I am losing the battle with scale on an old Odontoglossum which was given to me by an old-timer, years ago. It would have been trashed but, for sentimental reasons, would like one shot at saving it.

Went the oil root for almost a year. This plant is infested and has been treated repeatedly with alcohol, oil, every possible remedy. Decided to go the 'big-guns' route as a last resort.

I was in a small nursery and the above product was recommended for use indoor. It is a systemic containing the Bayer ingredient - Imidacloprid. I have had good luck with the Bayer systemic containing that chemical, outdoors. It should not be used indoors although I have used it that way in the past.

The woman at the nursery stressed that Bayer should 'absolutely not be used indoors'! She refused to let me buy it. Very odd...so I bought this product made by Bonide. Apparently Imidacloprid is in a smaller amount.

Anyone tried this on scale? It is labeled as use on houseplants and for use on sucking insects.

Jane

Comments (19)

• highjack
    13 years ago

No I've never used Bonide only the Bayer products.

The Bayer products would be as "safe" as Bonide since they both contain the same insecticide. The Bayer products instructions are to spray the plant. Instead of spraying pour the solution over the plant and then drench the media.

Bayer makes a product with two insecticides in it. The imicloprid is a systemic and the other one - sorry can't remember the name - is a better contact killer. The percentage of imicloprid is higher than in the All n One so is more effective, fewer treatments.

As with all chemicals, read the warnings and immediately wash hands thoroughly.

Brooke

• highjack
    13 years ago

It doesn't make sense to me. Is the Bonide a drench or spray? Is your Bayer product the granular form? I've never used it - only the liquid.

Usually the company gives you the least amount of product to do the job so you will be satisfied with the product. The biggest mistake a person can make with an insecticide or fungicide is to use a lesser amount and create a resistance problem to the chemical. This is how super bugs are created.

You can get the liquid at a big box store in either a ready to use mix or in a concentrate form to make yourself.

Brooke

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bonide is the name of the company. The product I bought is labeled for 'indoor' use, houseplants. It is 'granular systemic' but is labeled 'protects for 8-weeks, safe for indoor use.' It contains Imicloprid.

I have used the Bayer granular systemic in the past with good results. I was hoping someone tried this brand and could let me know how well it worked 'indoors' on orchids.

They both (Bayer & Bonide) contain the same chemical, the Bonide in smaller amount (according to the sales woman).

I checked HD and they did not carry the Bayer spray or granular.

Sorry, for the confusion. I will assume you never heard or used this product. Seems no one has. I will give it a try. The weather is getting cold and the plants have to come in. I want to treat them all. I'd prefer not to poison my family...

Thanks again,
    Jane

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Jane,

If you can spray the plant outdoors, let it dry for 1/2 day or so and then bring it in, I don't think it would be an issue. I've always assumed that if it tells you it is for outdoor use, it meant that it needed to be applied outside to prevent the fumes or excess spray from affecting other living things.

I look at it this way, if you use it on an outdoor plant, outdoor animals have just as good a chance as eating the leaves or whatever as an indoor animal or person, so why outside other that the very oopen spaces??? I tend to think that sparying a plant ouside with the Bayer product lettign it air out and then bringing it in before nightfall would be pretty safe???

FWIW: I actually have used the Bayer liquid product the previous 2 weekends for my summering outdoor 'kids (dunked everything 3 weeks ago, sprayed last weekend) as I had planned and did bring most of them in this weekend.

I've been spraying my indoor plants outside and bringing them in for several years. I still just have one head, 2 arms, 2 legs and a half a brain :-)

Bob

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Any hair left and all reproductive functions still normal?

Informative thread.

Nick

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Too funny!

Actually, Bob, I couldn't find any spray. This stuff is a granular systemic.

Went to two 'Home Despots' and they had all their gardening products put away to make room for Christmas stuff.

Go figure...not even Halloween or Thanksgiving yet!

Jane

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Nick,

My wife and I don't have kids and I am balding, so who knows? :-)

Jane, I bought the Bayer Systemic and On-Contact concentrate, I can't remember the actual name,I believe it is what highjack mentioned, also there was a thread from earlier this summer duscussing it's benefits. I used a small pump sprayer and/or a 5 gallon bucket. BTW: Earlier this summer I used this on some annuals that are prone to bug damage, it worked on them for several months and it's still going. Good stuff, IMO.

Bob

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob, was it Bayer Systemic 'Spray'?? I can't find a spray anywhere with Imicloprid. That chemical is the only one which has worked in the past.

Jane

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Jane,

I'll double check the exact name when I get home this evening.

Bob

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

the correct name/spelling for the chemical is:
    imidacloprid

I use it as it is dispensed as BAYER COMPLETE INSECT KILLER by a hose-end sprayer. The directions for refill containers include instructions for mixing into manual, pump-style tank sprayers.

The active ingredients:
    IMIDACLOPRID 0.72%
    beta-CYFLUTHRIN 0.36%

--Stitz--

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry about the misspelling but the print on the container was too small and these old eyes could barely see it. Need to keep the reading glasses tied to the computer.

Jane

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

That's the one Stitz, great stuff IMO.

In the posted link, I use the one on the left.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayer Advanced

• whitecat8
    13 years ago

Hi Jane,

That's too bad about your special plant. Here's hoping it recovers.

A few years ago, I bought Bonide insecticidal soap to use in the house. Active ingredient was potassium salts of fatty acids. "Ideal for organic gardeners." Milder than what you're talking about.

For 3 years now, my plants have been sprayed with Safer's 3-in-1 product - fungicide, insecticide, and miticide, suitable for organic growing. Works for me. Just yesterday, I ordered the 32-oz. concentrate. I use it in the bathroom with the critters shut out.

My super-duper awesome ammo, though is 1600 X-Clude. Main ingredient is microencapsulated natural pyrethrum, from chrysanthemums. This year will be the 4th that I've used it.

The label says you can use it inside, but a commercial grower who uses it advised against that. The aroma is strong, and I wouldn't use it in the house, even if there weren't critters around. Well, if I could aim fans out the window, close the door, and shove towels underneath.

In late summer/early fall, about when you'd be bringing plants inside that have been outside all summer, you spray plants five days apart, 2 sprayings total.

Online prices vary wildly, if you decide to check it out. If you go with it, let me know, cuz there are some specific instructions for it to be the most effective.

http://www.ghorganics.com/XClude1600.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Safer 3-in-1 plant spray

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, WC. Do you buy these online? I ran to another nursery today and I saw the a bunch of Safers but didn't look at them closely as I did not notice scale on the label.

This plant needs 'big guns.' I hate to do that, but I want to give it a shot. It's probably too far gone at this point, but I found a large Catt with some scale tonight. It never had scale before and I've had it for over 5 yrs. The Odont might be history, but my Catt. is Blc George King - my hubbys favorite. I will treat them all as I fear a outbreak over winter.

Tomorrow is the hurricane, this weekend cold so I'll have to wait for warmer weather so I can do this outside.

Thanks,

Jane

• whitecat8
    13 years ago

If places near you have the 3-in-1 in stock, that's great. Around here, only a few expensive garden centers carry it year-round.

The Safer 3-in-1 info lists "scale crawlers" among the nasties it helps control.

I use Safer if an individual plant gets something minor. My suggestion would be to pull out the cannon.

Email if you'd like online sources for X-clude. Its label just lists plain ol' scale. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Safer 3-in-1 plant spray

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds good. I'll email you later. (I know you are also a night owl).

Thanks again,
    Jane

• kwmackdog
    13 years ago

lol at my recent experiment in scale control/death.
    i found a phal that hadn't been given quality attention this summer and decided to offer itself to the scale god. well, having had some experience with the nasties i thought i would try spraying with something that was close at hand, i had just sprayed our dog for fleas, so i drenched the phal with flea killer, and guess what, the scale died, without damaging the phal. now all i need to do is re-treat in a week or so to get any survivors. i'm not advising this treatment to anyone who cries when they lose a plant, since the long term effects remain unproven, hahahaha

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My daughter told me she found scale on one of her plants and sprayed what was at hand...Pam cooking spray (she was baking). It was the Olive Oil variety.

Said it worked,
    Jane

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville