Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyesofthewolf

Milk on leaves to make them shine

eyesofthewolf
14 years ago

Anyone heard of that? 2 years ago when I bought my first orchid (phal for beginners) I wanted the leaves to shine so I went to by some leaf shine they use in florist shops and the lady told me it was a bad Idea it closes the pores of the leaf so she recommended using a milk wipe, well it does work with no ill effects, indoor plants don`t seem to get pests because of it or fungus, mine didn`t, But I have never ran across that in any books or websites does anyone else do that?

Comments (7)

• orchidnick
    14 years ago

I was told that when I started with orchids and have used it for 13 years. Skim milk is recommended and you are right, the books don't talk about it.

Nick

• highjack
    14 years ago

I used to clean my Mother's plants with milk to make them shine. I am so old we didn't have books back then - printing presses hadn't been invented. Our cows only knew how to produce whole milk so I used it - we hadn't invented skim milk yet either :>)

Brooke

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    14 years ago

This summer I was doing some research on Powdery Mildew (Sphaerotheca fuliginea) and how to treat it on squash and cucumber plants in the garden. I came across several studies that had been done comparing the effectiveness of a milk spray to commercially available fungicides. The milk spray was as effective if not more effective than the fungicides. I wonder if this could possibly transfer to orchids and some of the ailments they face? If I remember correctly the recommended doses were somewhere in the 1/2 - 1 cup milk per gallon of water.

Kevin

• eyesofthewolf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input,WOW I just thought I was a wacko for doing it, So there is are studies (kewl) I have used just staight fat free skim milk on a paper towel and wiped. I guess now that I have some feed back I might use it on my veggie garden if needed, give them a dose of calcium, Do you think the leaves absorb that? These forums are great, I don`t feel like I am floating in the dark, Thanks folks. Oh highjack life was simple (maybe harder) but you know more about organic gardening and plant husbandry than any of us newbies.

Deanna

• petite_orange
    14 years ago

FYI, the lactic acid also dissolves the white film some people call 'hard water residue' which is mostly (I think) calcium.
    We use milk on our foliage before plants go to a show; it makes the plants look very good, and any kind of commercial 'leaf shine' product is absolutely forbidden at orchid shows.
    Soymilk, strangely, has little effect.
    Regards - Nancy

• orchidnick
    14 years ago

eyesofthewolfe

There are 67 pages of this and that only takes you back to April 2008. If you want to know ANYTHING about orchids type it in the search spot and all kinds of stuff posted by the so called experts who know anything and everything about orchids will come up. Some of it is actually useful information.

A friend of mine living down the street who has grown orchids for over 50 years, which is quite an accomplishment since he is only 49, never posts on the forum but goes to it all the time looking for info. He is a lurker.

Nick

• jank
    14 years ago

Have used skim milk to make the leaves shine and remove the white spots before taking plants in for our orchid club show and tell table.
    When my tomato plants had a fungus/wilt of some sort, I remember a using a tip from somehwere online that mixed milk with water and something else to spray.
    Don't know why I didn't think of using it on orchids to battle the heavy rains after that. Think I will try it next rainy period.
    Jan