Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbarry_gw

Drac hat - hopefully a drac for Halloween!

cbarry
16 years ago

Had to share! I just had to relocate my Dracula vespertilio (from the aquarium to the right) into this container because the spikes were just brushing the bottom of the tank, and I couldn't raise it any higher. The last time this happened (this spring?) I didn't add the fan to the new tank, and the spike blasted. After I (foolishly) cut it off, I noticed that it had another bud in the works (a sequential bloomer?!) on that spike. So I have been nursing these spikes along, and now believe that I see a 3rd! The lovely pink hat (LOL!) is to cover the fan and the leaves because they have to poke out of the top of this container, but I need to keep the humidity high. Some of you may think that it's high light for a drac, but that's only a 26W CFL, and it has obviously been loving it! It's in sphag, and is wet down 1X/day or every other day.

{{gwi:196903}}

Keep your fingers crossed for a Halloween Drac!

Carolyn

Comments (12)

• whitecat8
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Carolyn, This is too funny! Isn't it wild what we come up with to make the orchids happy? You're most inventive.

What kind of fan do you have in there?

Is the Drac orange? Black? Even better for Halloween. Whitecat8

• mike_gee
    16 years ago

Why light it? Can't photosynthesize under a shower cap. Doesn't need to at this stage. Ya may want the humidity around the buds not the leaves. Why not hang it on the tank or run a humdifier in the room if ya think ya need it
    Dracs take low end catt light easy
    Mike

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

What are you going to do when the buds open? You can't keep it 'under wrap.'

Jane

• cbarry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WC8 - Thanks! It's kind of cream/white with red/purple splotches. It's a computer fan ($5 radio shack), wired to a variable power source ($12 HD). Very easy to do. And the hat is actually one of those saran wrap bowl cover thingies.

Mike - The problem is that it's too tall for the tank. The buds scrape the bottom, even when it's tilted kind of sideways. Humidify an entire room for 1 small plant?! Much easier and effective all around to create a humid environment for the 1 plant, IMO. The hat is not just to humidify the leaves, the hat is keep the whole mini environment humid; it keeps the container mostly closed off. I'm curious as to why you say that it can't photosynthesize under the cap...while light will definitely be decreased, the plant has not stopped photosynthesizing. I would never move a plant in spike/bud to a significantly darker area while the spike/bud is still developing. I worry enough about my phrags that go from fairly bright light during growth to a lower light 'display' area for the duration of the flowering period (likely to be months). LOL!

Carolyn

• cbarry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jane, Good question! I'm even worried that when open, the flowers will be bigger than the area of that container! I may have to buy a larger display container! Maybe one of those large square glass vases!

There's just no other way to provide the humidity that a drac likes. My humidity control is zero outside of the 5 gal aquarium (which I can easily keep at 70+ %, never under 65%, and often 80-85%).

Carolyn

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

"The last time this happened (this spring?) I didn't add the fan to the new tank, and the spike blasted. "

Carolyn- You have just solved your situation to avoid blasting.

Before I tell you why ; Dracs spike a lot. Yes, there are sequential blooming Dracs. Have 4 in spike right now. Some have 5 spikes and are less mature than your's. Your plant looks mature enough to have numerous spikes . If you have had them well-light, expect more. Like any other orchid, it's all in the light and stable conditions.

I agree with Mike, you shouldn't need to light it at this point. I also grow them in high light. 85w, 42w and a 26 w on an obstructed S window. Direct sun from 11-1. The bulbs are 5" from the little gouls. They pump out spikes like crazy. As Uncle H says, the plants should have enough energy in the bank to finish the bloom off if they have been properly light and have good heat. 1 thing I have learnt this year is heat is the key to opening stalled blooms. For a non-G/H grower heat and light can get out of balance fast. I said it in another post and i will say it here. Dracs are not really "cool, dark" growing. 80F days average. Take a peek at Baker's they will tell you the same.

PLEASE PLEASE be careful of enclosing a Drac.
    2 problems can occur rapidly:

The Halloween costume is adorable but you are risking losing that plant. You may be "going Victorian" and cooking the Drac under the plastic and a cfl. Watch it!

The other issue; The Frightening ",deadly black spot. Dress Drac up as Tinkerbell instead, suspended in the briskly moving air! :-))

Let me tell you how fast black spot kills a Drac leaf. I am familiar. Literally overnight. A construction worker turned off the overhead fan in my orchid room 1 night. Next morning, it was a truely scary sight. Black spots on my Drac! The room's walls were wet. End result 50% leave loss. I was sick about it. A window was open next to the plant but that was not enough air flow. Black spot to 1 and bud death to another. They need wind, like a paph needs a saucer! ;-) Physan & peroxide can kill the leeds FYI. Black spot on a Drac leaf is like croaking from Consumption.

Misting will also produce rot if you don't have breeze. Mine are potted high and I will mist the mound very very lightly near the developing spikes but never near the leaves. Once they are on there way I stop the dew.

Dracs need air flow more than humidity as you saw the last time your's attempted to bloom. If you are going to run humid, move a lot of air and do not mist. I had a couple out this summer. Humidity fell wherever. They are in spike. Air and light, works like a charm

Idea, why not put Drac on it's side in the tank if you would feel better about having humidity? I have a warm steam humidifyer going in the Drac room. The warm steam works but I move a tremendous amount of air to keep the balance. Just another idea. Last idea, can you suspend the plant over the tank and dangle the blooms in the tank?

Dracs have a reputation of humid conditions. Highly stable heat and light conditions is more the case. Same with Made's. Never had a masde blast from a lack humidity indoors or out. I've bloomed Masde's outside this summer, no problem. The whole Drac/ Masde humidity thing may be mythical, like "paph light being 500fc's! ;-). Higher light and heat seem to be the trick for sturdy blooms with any orchid, Dracs are no exception.

I am crossing my fingers for you but I think you got it! Nice grow!

Clara

• cbarry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Clara!

The whole air thing is why I have it under fan with water in the bottom of the container to provide the humidity. Humidity is the room is not very high, it's the same as outside, and it can get dry around here outside of the summer! Even in the aquarium, with water on the bottom and a fan running in there (same one, actually), if I don't wet the sphag at least every other day, it becomes quite dry. So I usually wet it daily. It's been much happier in the aquarium than when it was out in the open air. I set up the aquarium in mid-march. Had my masdies in there too, until I sold them.

Dracs on their side is not a bad idea, but I know that I'd snap a spike doing stuff in there! There are other plants in the aquarium.

Actually, I'm happy with this set-up (I hope it is too!). It's similar to how the plant has been living, easy access for me, no extra cost, same exact light (just shifted a little from pointing into the tank on the right).

All good advice! I'll keep note of this in case I blast them again ;)

thanks!
    Carolyn

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Well, after reading this thread, there goes my Drac Felix. There is No Way I am going through this for any flower. Clara, you still interested?

Carolyn, I ask again, how are you going to display the flowers? Once you take that hat off, the change in humidity will probably blast the other buds.

Can't deal with this,

Clara, you still interested in Felix?

Jane
    (having a nervous breakdown)

• cbarry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jane,

Please don't have a nervous breakdown! At least wait and see how it goes for me ;)

I'm really into simple, and this has been such an easy grower! These are the 3rd and 4th spikes (I broke the 2nd!), so don't get too worried. Don't forget, Clara lives in another zone, and you are I are practically neighbors :)

As far as the display? I honestly don't know. We'll how big they really are. I do have another big bottomed glass vase that will allow more flower room, but it is shallower too, so hard to hang the pot and keep the flowers off the bottom. I will certainly take pictures immediately! And maybe the flowers will be OK for a few days out of air.

I tend to crosses bridges when I get to them. And since this is a hobby, I just don't freak out - it's supposed to be fun and relaxing. That's why I sold off so many - it was becoming too stressful. And the Drac made all of the cuts :)

Hey, Drac Felix is very cute! If I do well, and Felix still needs a new home...Well, you can always come visit him here... (seriously interested).

Carolyn

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Jane Yes I'll be glad to buy him from you. Coming to NY at month's end too ! :-) Quick in and out

But!... before you decide, re-read my post. Dracs need air more than humidity. They dont need humidity. This is urban legend that is so entrenched in this board it will not go away. Had them outside this summer. They bloom. Catt light, stable heat and lots of air year round. If you can bloom at catt, you can bloom Felix.

Clara

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

I need to make a decision on this plant because it came to me as a beautiful, healthy plant. I've left it outside and I see a couple of new growths starting. It is so healthy looking, that I know what will happen once it hits the dry air of my home. There is no way I'm sticking a shower cap over it (sorry Carolyn), I don't even spag & bag.

Clara, I will watch it and the first sign of trouble, off to Chicago he goes.

I love my Psychopsis 'face'- that's my Halloween treat, and his little eyeballs are dripping honeydew now. My hubby is so grossed out over this, I just think it is the coolest thing.

Carolyn, you must find a way to post pics of the flowers!

Jane

• Csilla Suto
    7 years ago

Hi there,

Not too long ago maybe in March or April I bought a Dracula Hirsute from an orchid show that was in town. It was a small plant and had about 5 leaves Kept it inside by my bedroom window that does really get direct sunlight that much due to a large tree outside. About a month ago I noticed that some of the tips were turning brown and eventually dried and fell off Since then even the healthy ones are falling off Just yesterday I lost the very last one :( They sort of snap off from the base as is someone took a sharp object and cut it off. I live in PA where summers are pretty humid and I also have a small humidifier I reached out to somebody else with this issue and was told that maybe the temperature is too high Is the fan that you mentioned the method you keep the temperature down? I see you also mentioned having to take it out from the aquarium, which was going to be my next step in saving this poor orchid but I'm not sure how to control the temp in that case unless I place it directly in front of an air conditioner. I also checked the roots and the look pretty bad as if it got too much water as well. But it is in a plastic pot with holes just like the one in the picture. Any input on how to take better care would be appreciated, although I'm afraid it might be too late.

Thanks

Csilla

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!