Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusjoe1

A Cattleya?

cactusjoe1
13 years ago

I was given this orchid, and this is only the first time I have managed to make it bloom in the 3 years I have had it. But what is it? It looks like a Cattleya. Can anyone help identify it?

{{gwi:197121}}

Comments (8)

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am thinking Cattleya aurantiaca variety.

• arthurm
    13 years ago

It is a hybrid and there are thousands and thousands of them and variations within each cross that make an exact id just about impossible. Yes, the orange colour probably comes from Cattleya aurantiaca somewhere back in the ancestry, but i wonder where does the little wedge of colour in the lip come from?
    Here is another orchid showing that feature.
    {{gwi:197125}}

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

Beautiful hybrid. Most certainly has C. aurantica in parentage, but not aurantica itself.

Once a hybrid , always a hybrid
    It does look similar to the hybrid I have

Lc. Loog Tone x C. Netrasiri 'Thai Glow - Red Mutation'
    {{gwi:197128}}From Orchids January 2008

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Whatever it is congratulations on the beautiful blooms!

Jane

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jane! The colour of these flowers is pretty striking. So is the smell! (I wonder, olyagrove, if the flowers on yours have any scent.) Our specimen intermittent emits a strong scent. At times, it smells wonderful, but occassioinally it emits a smell which I can only equate to that of hot tar. At first, I thought the smell came from someone's shoe, but after some sniffing around, I am pretty sure that it comes from those flowers.

I notice that the colour on the lips are different, but the overall flower pattern is similar to those of olyagrove's. So, I will call it a hybrid with Cattleya aurantica genes in it.

I have only been growing Phalaenopsis and have a couple of Oncidiums. I have a Cymbidium which is 12 years old and a Cattleya variety. So, I am not knowledgeable on these things.

• arthurm
    13 years ago

You cannot do that!! Well, you can but it not very accurate. It is Unknown and we all have plenty of them.
    These "Cattleyas" often have other Genera mixed in such as Laelia and some that look like Cattleyas do not have a Cattleya ancestor.
    The benching sections at the local orchid society are labeled as Laeliinae Hybrids.

As for the perfume....i'll take a little punt and say that it might come from a Cattleya Chocolate Drop ancestor but might, ifs, buts and perhaps do not count in the naming stakes.

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

I do not remember about the scent, too many orchids to keep track of :)

it might come from a Cattleya Chocolate Drop ancestor
    Which brings us back to Aurantica
    since Chocolate Drop is a primary hybrid between Cattleya guttata and Cattleya aurantiaca

When I have orchids with No ID, my primarily motivation for finding approximate parentage is to better understand the growing requirements. In your case, it seems that you got the conditions right since the orchid is looking good and blooming in your care :)
    Enjoy your "Aurantica ancestor-looking" beautiful and fragrant NOID :)

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's getting a bit too complicated for me. "Aurantica ancestor-looking" sounds good enough to me.