Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtandrea

watering orchids in fall & winter

vtandrea
9 years ago

In general, should I be cutting my watering schedule during the cooler months here in VT? I've been watering the phals just once a week and all others, except the one catt which is in fir bark, twice a week. Getting lots of growth and quite a few in spike right now, but should I give them a rest after the flowers go by? I use fir bark for most, hydroton for the cattleyas (except for one, which came in bark from Kawamoto's) because I want to let them dry out between waterings. Just not sure what would be best as winter approaches.

Comments (8)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Do you use a woodstove? What kind of heating you use might affect the humidity. I grew up there and those old farmhouses used to use a lot of wood for heating.

• vtandrea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have to laugh at your--and most people's--perception of Vermonters. I live in a modern home with natural gas heating. Plenty of humidity in the orchid room, around 60-65%.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Oh. I don't think I know the answer then sorry. 60-65% seems pretty good I think so just don't let the phals get too cold I'd say. They still use wood in Vermont though. My mom does.

• vtandrea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I still have that question about watering in winter and hope someone can speak to it.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

There's a company that sells cypriedums which are totally different but it's a Vermont orchid vendor. They would know I bet. I can try to find the name if you want.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

When I lived in NY, I cut way back on watering until the orchids showed signs of new growth as the days lengthened. I grew everything in bark and sphag. Resting plants went dry except Phals which went almost dry. I did use top dressing of damp sphag on the surface over winter to keep roots from drying out. I removed it in Spring. I did not have your humidity. My house, over winter would have humidity readings as low as 6%.

In Florida, I intend to cut back as the nights cool and growth slows. I do water as long as I see growth.

Jane

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

In western Ohio I water my potted orchids @ once per week while wintering indoors. More of a convenience for me, but it seems to work. Mounties and bare-roots get misted multiple times daily, dunked at least weekly.

Fairly close to my outdoor routines, a little less watering while indoors.

Bob

• garlicgrower
    9 years ago

Hello Andrea:

I take cues from the seasons. In winter in New England you need less watering and fertilizing because there is lack of sunlight and warmth, which means plants are not metabolizing and growing as fast as in summer. They just are not using that much "input." (True, the coolness and/or short days are a trigger for flowering in some species. It's up to us (plant captors) to know which of our "captive" plants needs which treatment to induce flowering. )

Also, since I grow in a cold house, I keep all the plants and orchids drier in winter since too wet equals rot, or other maladies. : -( We've gotten down to 35 degrees F and only lost a couple.

Twin State Orchid Society in Vermont and New Hampshire Orchid Society are both very nice and I encourage you to check them out. You learn a bundle at shows and meetings.

Happy growing!
    Maryanne in Massachusetts