Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardarlin

Pest problem for new Orchid lover... need some advice

cardarlin
13 years ago

Ok.. I adopted a few orchids from the store. They were on reduce because they were sick looking. I've done this before and had been pretty successful. Well after having them about two weeks I noticed yesterday what looked like white mold underneath a leaf and up the flower spike. I got a closer look and I see two long antennas moving around and Im thinking I have the white spider mites. They almost look like those potato bugs but they have very long antennas. I moved the two orchids outside ( its getting cold here now in Michigan) to my garage for the night and I checked my other plants they were near and I don't see any other infestations for now. I have palmolive dish soap at the house. Is that something I can use diluted to clean the plants? I hear ppl say dish soap but then some say specific brands. I'm wondering if I should toss them to not risk further infestations to the rest of my plants but they are doing so well and are growing new buds on each plant it seems like a waste. Any advice... Thanks.

BTW, I hate using strong toxins because I have a 15 month old son. Just makes me nervous... so I'm looking for the best homeopathic remedy.

Comments (3)