Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lwowk

Anyone grow with 55 watt CFLS? Any good?

lwowk
16 years ago

1000bulbs dot com has 55 watt CFLs 5000K these would work in my octopus lamp. Has anyone grown with these? Any Good? I am lighting several phal-dends, a BLC seedling, and various onc and phals. I would be able to use 5 in my octopus lamp which I have decides to set up in my basement so that DH can stop complaining about the bright runway lamps in the living room. :) Also how close tot he plants would they need to be? 12 inches? 6?

Larissa

Comments (14)

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

Hey Larissa, check out this thread which has some info on CFLs. I think 55watts on an octopus lamp would be pretty good for phals, but not so good for BLC/dends unless you have them 3 inches or so away. Phals, I would say about 4-5 inches away. I have a 65W and find that I get about 3000fc when my plants are 2-3 inches away, but it quickly drops to 1500fc even just 5 inches away.

Also, dends are really tall, so it might be difficult to light them properly with bulbs (I am having the same dilemma with my phal dends - right now they're hogging the only prime estate sun I can offer!!!..those greedy pigs)

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

I totally disagree. How many lamps does an octopus have 5? That would be more than sufficient light for anything! I am growing vanda types under an 85w.

The distance depends on where your plants are at the moment, how acclimated to light they are.... Can you let us know about that?
    Clara

• lwowk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Right now the dends, BLC and Onc. are probably severely underlit they are in a west facing window without additional lights. I recently bought them off the HD discount rack (all healthy with good roots- some still in bloom)and did not have additional lights for them. They get sun from about 2:30 until 6-ish when the sun goes behind the trees.

Larissa

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Larissa
    I would start out at 3-4 feet and bring it in from there very slowly, 2 week intervals, keeping vigilant about burn. They will really thrive from your new set up. 55w 5000k is delicious!

I really need to get an octopus. That is an ideal set up for my small room!

Clara

• lwowk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Clara! Will Do! :0)

Larissa

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Make sure the lamp shades are properly vented or that the base of the bulb doesn't block the venting holes. CFLs generate heat and if the heat builds up around the bulb, it will burn out quickly. I don't use any bulbs this size, but was having a problem with the ones I use in a different type of shade. Nothing worse than having an expensive bulb burn out a day after turning it on.

Kevin

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

That would be called a defect and I would return it. Hang on to your receipts. These bulbs are not made for orchid growers. They are made for home use. That means lamps and enclosed sockets....

Clara

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

I had the same problem with 100W CFL's in an octopus lamp. They would burn out after a few hours. The lamp is marked 65W per fixture. I assumed that is what caused it. I probably should have returned them.

Jane

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Since the "big post" (link in first response), I also had problems with cfl's pulling away from the base (42w). I called the supplier. 1 company makes 95% of the lower watt cfl's in the US market and packages them under different brands. There is a manufacturer's defect going on. They are looking into it. These things are mass produced in China

Most bulbs are warenteed for 10,000 hours. Save the receipts. As mentioned, cfl's are not especially made for people like us, they are made for home use. A ceiling light with a glass cover, for example is a very enclosed space. Bulbs should be able to withstand that heat. We all use open systems.

I have had 0 problems w/ the Eiko 85w cfl's but 23w and 42's (made by the same company) all had problems. My dinky sylvania's 100w equivelents are still going strong. This is not a heat issue. It's an assembly issue

If you buy from HD they sometimes ask for the packaging which is completely ridiculous. I save 1 package and then had to make a huge stink. HD's corporate goal for 2007 is to minimise returns. (hassel the customer)

Clara

• treehaus
    16 years ago

Clara,
    I just bought the same 85s you have - the Eiko's, they arrive tomorrow - and if I am not mistaken, you're using those 10.5" reflectors from HD, and not using the clip function at all, right?
    Thanks!
    Mike

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Mike yes.. Sticks out about 5-6" . It's ok It covers a lot of ground. I use it in the window. You may have to pull the little tab in the base up a bit. I have been really pleased with them and have had 0 trouble.

BTW my light bulb direct dot com folks are the best. They are replacing all my broken 42's :-))) They are really super stars!

Clara

• lwowk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My 5 55 watt bulbs just came in. The light is amazing!
    They are in the octopus lamp and are heavier than I expected (for the lamp to hold) I am going to need to rig something to hold the lights up where I want them to be. But all in all I am happy with them. Any suggestions on duration each day? 14 hours? More? Less? They are set up in the basement so no supplemental sunlight. Growing Phals, Dends, BLC's and Onc.

• johnndc
    16 years ago

I've had issues with my Ikea lamp drooping with 42w CFLs - it's got a long bendy arm that the light is on the end of. How have others addressed this issue? tape an unwrapped hanger along the bendy metal or what?

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

I use a heck of a lot of wire. I don;t have an octopus but have the clamp lights with the goose neck. I pull a light weight wire through the vents holes. I wouldn't undo the wrapper, just give it some assistance

lwowk Treehaus Congrats!

lwowk, start at 12 hours and monitor the situation. At this point don't think about day length, just concentrate on getting them comfortable and you too! This is uncharted territory for everyone. Mine have been out all summer and have come in to 42w/85w banks. I have them at 14 hours a day and some at 12. I let old growth burn in anything that didn't go out when I got the lights. But that's me and it took a long time to get there.

Let us know how it's going!
    Clara

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor