Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allan870

Teacup Orchid question

Allan870
11 years ago

I purchased these two teacup orchids last night. I went to water them today, and noticed that the plastic container is so tight in the clay, that I can't remove them. I normally water my orchids in the sink. I let the water flow through them for several minutes. I then water with some water soluble orchid food. How do I go about watering these? They are in moss. Other orchids I have purchased have been in a bark mixture. Is the ice cube method one that would work for these? I went ahead and put these in the sink, and watered them. I then dumped all the water out that I could. They had been sitting for a week at a big box store, and were dry.

My dad loved my other orchids, so my plan was to get this one home, and make sure it was healthy, and give it to him.

Comments (6)

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The photo didn't post. Here they are.

• bob8_gw
    11 years ago

What you havet there is those beautiful mini phals. I havne't seen these up here in New York but did see them just a few weeks back when we were vacationing at Myrtle Beach. I think I picked up a couple of those in one of the grocery stores. If I remember correctly they don't have drain holes in the bottom. I pulled the plants in bloom out of the pot, (don't remember if they had an inner plastic pot, but I think not). Then I used a drill and made a hole in the bottom, then returned the plants to the pot. While on vacation I did just what you did, watered them and then turned the pot over and let the excess drain out. I know what you mean by having the spagnum moss pushed into the pot tighter than tight. That is the opposite of what I was taught but I guess it works. I left mine with it in and now am watering them once a week in my home.

• terrilou
    11 years ago

I have purchased these orchids also. I recall that I had to use some force to get the plastic pot out, but managed to do so. I then repotted into a slightly larger pot of either bark or moss. I used the outer pot as a cache pot for other plants. If you can't get the plastic out, I would continue as you are doing until the plant gets too large and then just remove it by sliding a knife along the edge and pull out the plant. Sometimes these phals are packed so tightly in moss that water can't penetrate. I recently purchased a teacup which upon repotting furnished enough additional moss to plant a couple more.
    As a final thought, I would never use ice to water any orchid except perhaps for some really cool growers. I think this company gives these instructions so you will kill the plant and have to buy another!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I just bought a mini Phal today. My first phal in many years as I tend to be a Phal killer! I couldn't resist getting this beauty:

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help! I purchased some small bowls and filled with aquarium rock to help with humidity. The white flower one is doing great. But the one the blooms on the purple one are starting to wilt. I have noticed that the water in the humidity tray for the white flower disappears faster than the other one. Could this be a light issue? They are side by side. They are getting about the same light and care as far as I can tell.

• little_bee
    11 years ago

I am from Florida and have orchids there. I am also not very good with Phals. I am in New England for a while and miss my orchids so when I saw what they called petite orchids, I couldn't resist buying one. They are really pretty. I was wondering if more than one could be potted in the same container. I see the post above from terrilou about potting a few together. That would make an interesting and beautiful display.

This post was edited by little_bee on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 22:46