Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooperdr_gw

what's with these wrinkled droopy leaves?

cooperdr_gw
9 years ago

This is only the second orchid I ever bought. It was a discount and needed to be repotted. I've seen other orchids with droopy, wrinkled leaves. Is that reversible and does it matter? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Calzoner
    9 years ago

I have several phals and mine usually exhibit the "wrinkle" symptom when it is thirsty. The floppiness of the leaves I believe is more genetic. As the plant perks up however, maybe after a season of better growing conditions, the new leaves will be more upright.

Since you have a rescue plant, can you send a pic of the root system? It showing symptoms of thirst can be either lack of water or root rot and their inability to uptake water efficiently.

• Calzoner
    9 years ago

Post a pic of the potting mix as well and describe your growing location so we can better advise on watering habits.

Thanks

This post was edited by Calzoner on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 15:50

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it definently had root rot. That's why I left all those upper roots out of the moss.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

If it has root rot, you should amend the growing mix. Use fresh, new sphagnum, and mix it 50/50 with bark. Struggling roots need more air. But they also dont adapt as well as healthy roots, so you dont want to put them straight into bark if they are used to sphagnum. That sphagnum looks very soggy :-( no good...

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not soggy, it just looks that way because I watered it the other day.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Do you have experience with phals with root rot?

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No I just watched a bunch of videos. Well actually my other had root rot just as bad but it doesn't have those droopy leaves at all.

• cooperdr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Although you're probably right about the bark thing Lauraeli. I don't like to use bark with any of my gardening or houseplants because it causes mold and rot. I don't even use it for bedding.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Ok. I like sphagnum but mixing in bark does help a lot for unhealthy roots. It's good to soak the bark first. And the sphagnum is so much better fresh. I have maybe 10 phals. I grow some in sphag, some in bark. I only use 100% sphag with 100% healthy phals. The 50/50 mix is my favorite. I repot most of my sphag phals in it when I bring them back from the store (most arent 100% healthy).

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

If you get the high-quality bark, such as orchiata, or a mix that is bagged at a greenhouse, there shouldnt be trouble with mold. Especially when it is mixed with sphag. Besides the anti-fungal properties of the sphag itself, it also wicks moisture away from the bark and out of the center of the pot.

If you do notice mold in an orchid mix, you can use hydrogen peroxide to water (the 3% kind) and then keep the mix a little drier (water less).

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Cooper, where do you live? The photo is blurry but I agree with Lauraeli. Fresh sphag mixed with smaller bark. Soak the bark and sphag. Put the plant in a warm, bright spot and water when the media is almost dry.

You just have to wait a few weeks to see if the plant turns around. If you already repotted, leave it be until you see some sign of growth.

Jane