Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs in my potting medium-YUCK!

Posted by wiscnick 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 12:39

I have seen a post on these guys a while back, but now that I need the info, of course I can't find it!
These are those oval grey bugs that are segmented and have lots of legs--the ones that hide under rocks. People call them pill bugs or sow bugs, or roly-polies...I have no idea what their proper name is...
Any way, I was watering my Zygo, and decided it was dry, so I soaked the pot, and YUCK--these bugs started popping out of the top. I tried to get as many as I could, but they don't seem to drown. Then I decided to soak the pot in soapy water, but again they seemed unaffected...
So, how to get rid of them?
PS yeah, next year I'll be sure to keep all my pots off the ground when I put them outdoors...
Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs in my potting medium-YUCK!

They're harmless, except they'll hasten the breakdown of the potting media...I've heard they nibble on roots but as far as I know, they're detritovores and only eat stuff that's decaying or rotting already. If I know I have these, I soak the entire pot when watering, which makes all these guys crawl out so I can scoop them up. After a few weeks, they'll all be gone. :)

o

Alvin is right. As long as it is not the harmful ones, it can be one of the following:
1) Fungus gnat pre-adults
2) Oribatid mites; (another Reference)

-Harvey

o

Nick, I must disagree with the other responders. It is my experience that these bugs can do substantial damage, at least with phals. They eat leaves and roots and come back to the same location each night until the damage is substantial. On phal compots they can do as much damage as a slug. They are my number one pest problem and this is the time of year I begin to see them. Fortunately they respond to insecticides. Spray along benches where they travel and along the base of greenhouse walls. Definitely treat any plants they are eating on or living in. If you want to catch them in the act, wait until dark and then look for them on the plants with a flashlight.

Mike

o

Hi thanks for the advice--everyone!
I googled pill bug/sow bug and the picture represents what I have. Apparently I can lure them to an upside down cantalope half--I will try this, as well as drowning, as I would prefer not to have these critters in my house!

Nick

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 9:39

I had oodles of the same bugs crawling around in and under the few pots of indoor plants I did bring out for the summer. I think our rainy conditions this year account for the high number of them. They seemed to like my pot of Sprekelia bulbs the best, and I wound up re-potting the bulbs into fresh soil and a clean pot before bringing indoors. Luckily, I opted not to bring any orchids outdoors this year.

Next year, any pots brought outdoors will be hung off the ground, or placed on wire shelves... this should deter bugs a bit more than keeping pots on the ground.

I did use a systemic and a spray before bringing in any of the other plants I had out.

o

Yes, it's always wise to drench the medium a couple of times before bring the plants in for the winter.

o

I agree with Calvin.

One way to hasten their departure is to change the medium at the next appropriate opportunity. "Pill bugs" like decaying matter; fresh material doesn't meet their requirements.

--Stitz--

o

Orchid126--
what do you mean by drenching the medium? Do you mean with an insecticide, as in pouring it through? I am sorry if I don't understand--I did spray every plant with Bayer's 3 in 1, spraying the medium also, but I don't think I would say I drenched it--please explain
Nick

o

I use Bayer's Advanced Rose and Flower Spray for the growth above the medium, and being a systemic it will also protect the roots. But critters can inhabit the medium. I usually drench the medium (pour through thoroughly) a couple of times, a week apart, with an insecticide like Orthene or some sort of soapy water to kill any bugs or eggs lurking in the medium. Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap (from the healthfood store), Fel's Naptha, Murphy's Oil soap, and Safer's Insecticidal Soap (especially formulated for plants), are all good as are dish detergents. A tablespoon or so to a gallon would be a good mix.

I believe it was the July issue of the AOS magazine that had an article with a list of the bugs that various dish detergents kill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here