Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinamarie88

Dark Green Spots On Phals Leaf

Martinamarie88
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I just got a brand new Phal for my b-day and I have noticed that it has Dark green spots on one leaf and they are starting on another. I tried looking up dark green spots on a Phals leaves but only Black Spotting comes up. Can someone please clarify what is wrong with my new Phals leaves?

Comments (13)

• Martinamarie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, since no one is going to help me out... I will try to figure this one out on my own. This is the second time I have been ignored.

Thanks Again.

• philpet
    10 years ago

Oh dear, I apologize for you feeling ignored but to tell the truth I honestly don't have a lot of experience dealing with Ailments. Right now I am fighting root rot but maybe you could try and apply Phyton 27. Its fungicide, bactricide, algecide and so on so if your problem is one of those then it would help. Again I understand how worried you must feel about you plant and I do hope the phyton will help. Sorry for not responding earlier. VELLETA.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I would like to help you but I can't tell much from the photo. First of all, happy birthday!

Could you post a photo of the entire plant? Make sure it includes a shot of the plant where it goes into the pot.

The spots could be a number of things and could be normal. As philpet mentioned, it could be fungal. You need to provide more info such as where do you live, the zone you are in, the environment your plant is growing in, light, window, outside, temperatures?

It is difficult to provide help without all the information.

Jane

• Martinamarie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the B-day Wish Jane! :) I live in Mississauga Ontario, the plants stays indoors (my office) all year around on a frosted window facing South, but the plant already had these spots on the leaf when it was given to me. My father in law got it for me from a grocery store in the garden section where It was very mistreated. I also noticed when I watered it that there were little bugs and larva swimming in the water that drained out and a lot of the roots are rotted. I want to have it re-potted badly but there are still big healthy blooms open and unopened.

• Martinamarie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

roots

• Martinamarie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wood chips

• Martinamarie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Top of leaf with spots

• Martinamarie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Underside

• philpet
    10 years ago

Ok a picture says a thousand words first you need to decide which you prefer blooms or plant?. Now your plant is VERY dehydrated from root rot and its putting all its energy into the blooms.if this plant was mine, I would cut both bloom spikes(hard I know). Remove it from its pot trim all dead and mushy roots spray the entire plant with hydrogen peroxide let it DRY and then repot into fresh bark mix maybe to a smaller pot since most of the roots are rotted. Place in a less light area. Water once a week and give it some time to bounce bk. I think because the media went bad you develope a fungal infection you may still need to treat it so the phyton 27 can be used acording to instruction. Phals are really hardy so I think in time it will bounce bk. You can put the bloom in water to enjoy. That's what I would do. Hopefully someone else will advise you. Good luck and I hope your BD gift gets better soon. VELLETA.

• philpet
    10 years ago

Ok a picture says a thousand words first you need to decide which you prefer blooms or plant?. Now your plant is VERY dehydrated from root rot and its putting all its energy into the blooms.if this plant was mine, I would cut both bloom spikes(hard I know). Remove it from its pot trim all dead and mushy roots spray the entire plant with hydrogen peroxide let it DRY and then repot into fresh bark mix maybe to a smaller pot since most of the roots are rotted. Place in a less light area. Water once a week and give it some time to bounce bk. I think because the media went bad you develope a fungal infection you may still need to treat it so the phyton 27 can be used acording to instruction. Phals are really hardy so I think in time it will bounce bk. You can put the bloom in water to enjoy. That's what I would do. Hopefully someone else will advise you. Good luck and I hope your BD gift gets better soon. VELLETA.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I don't see rotted roots. I see dehydrated roots. My guess is the air in your office is very dry, low humidity. I would repot the plant with some sphagnum moss mixed in the bark. Water when the bark looks dry. If you want to save the flowers, you need to get the roots hydrated. You could stick the pot inside a larger bowl or sink and let it soak for 1/2 hr or so. The whole plant looks very dry.

Jane

• Martinamarie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Velleta & Jane,

This poor Phal was soo badly dried out when I got it. I have been watering it 2 times weekly to get it on the same track as my other phals. I am going to take it to be re-potted. I hope it will bonce back like my other phal did that was in shock that Jane helped me out with before. Just an update for you Jane, that phal has a brand new spike growing!

Thanks a million guys! :)

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Yeah!

Good growing.

Jane

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County