Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange cymbidium??

Posted by catlover_gardener sfl10miami (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 12:56

Today at the University where I work, Farmers Market visited and I bought a huge orchid. The vendor told me that it was a hybrid cymbidium (it had no tag).

It has very broad leathery leaves looking just like a Phal, but the leaves are very hard, thick and broad. Grows like a phal also.

The two spikes are more than 24" and have flowers that are maroon, brown peach and yellow. The flowers are the size of wildcat colmanara and have the same formation.

She said it was a hybrid Cymbidium but had no more information and they grow them in the Redlands. It is a monster of an orchid that I got for $20.

Can anyone shed any light on the name of this orchid.
The fowers have no fragrance but are very beautiful and grow from the stalk just like a Colmanara. The leaves are just long, leather hard and broad like a phal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange cymbidium??

Got a picture?

o

No. I do not and no camera.
Picture a big fat phal with large broad leathery (hard) leaves just laying across the pot, just like a healthy phal would.
Then picture the spikes 24" tall with the exact flowers that look like the c. wildcat. Brown, peach, yellow and maroon in color.

Roots are all in pot with a few across media on top.
That's the best picture I can paint.

I have searched for pictures on line, but cannot find one.
Any help? Anyone?

o

You are not painting a picture of a cymbidium in my mind. Try googling cymbidium, look at the leaves and see what you think.

o

Here are some thumbnails of Cymbidiums....doesn't sound like a Cymbidium to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cymbidium set

o

I'm thinking it may be a mule-eared oncidium?
Oncidium <-> cymbidium, sounds pretty close.

Google up mule-eared oncidium, very leathery leaves and looks somewhat like a phal...

Bob

o

Bingo, westoh,
I stayed up last night till the wee hours and searched every Google site, and I also came up with that. It is not a Cym. I guess this shows how important it is to have tags when you sell orchids.

Anyway, it is a a mule-ear Oncidium. I have never seen one before, and would never dream that an Onc could have such large leaves and so leathery. It is a monster that I got for $20 and it is blooming; has two stalks. I am going to try to send a photo. Someone at my office should be able to help me.Attached Images

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here