Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
signs of too frequent feeding? schomburgkias only

Posted by joss-1 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 13:05

Hello, I'm not new to schomburgkias, I've been growing them for 20 years, but I am new to an issue I'm seeing with the new growths. I grow 90% of the orchids bareroot and I fertilize them with a weak solution every time I spray or every other time. The majority love it, but there are 3 which happen to be potted and are the newly titled "laelia" type or 'fusiform' type, not the myrmecophila type, which get "limp" leaves once the leaves reach about 4 to 5 inches long... they just droop down. The plants still thrive with nice healthy roots and nice and green, but the leaves droop... two of them are even spiking. I'm positive that something is causing this to happen and that they're not just growing this way. Have any of you seen this? It seems logical that being only with the potted ones, that they are getting over fed, I'm guessing, although the normal signs are black root or leaf tips, which these do not have. Thanks for any info you might have. Joss

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: signs of too frequent feeding? schomburgkias only

You are think of salt built up... You can flush with water and stop using fertilizer for couple of months to see if the condition improve...

o

Are you watering the plants heavily when fertilizing? You want a significant amount of water to drain out in order to prevent fertilizer salts from accumulating as og said above. I would thoroughly flush the pots with pure water, maybe even soak them in a bucket for several minutes, and water heavily when fertilizing from now on. If that doesn't work, try replacing the media and checking the roots while you're at it.

-Chris

o

Thanks for replying. Chris, are saying to feed first and then water heavy? Wouldn't that just rinse out all the food? Sorry, I've never got along with potted orchids. Joss

o

No, just apply your water + fertilizer until a significant amount drains out. Maybe you already do this, but some people tend to water very lightly so that they don't have to deal with the mess of draining water. But they don't realize that any minerals not used by the plant accumulate, as water evaporates leaving behind the minerals contained in each watering.

-Chris

o

I got it, thanks. I wasn't paying enough attention to that. I spray them all at once (bareroot and the very few potted) they're probably not draining off enough. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here