Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digitalphrag

The Orchid Forum

digitalphrag
13 years ago

Just wanted to say that the Orchid Forum seems to be one of the most friendly and helpful of the Garden Web plant forums towards beginning growers. Wonder why that is?

I won't be naming names, but when I go to some other of the forums and ask a total newbie question, I feel lucky to get any kind of response at all, and I noticed I'm not the only one. When I do get a reply (or at most two)it's never very helpful.

On the orchid forum, though, I see us almost always doing a good job of welcoming newbies, giving them sage advice (even if we sometimes offer contradictory opinions on certain things), providing external links, and things like that.

So, I wonder what the difference is? Is it that there are just more of us using the orchid forum, thus more people responding to posts? Is it that we're just friendlier folks? Any ideas?

Comments (6)

• whitecat8
    13 years ago

Hi Digitalphrag,

The purpose of this forum is to exchange information about orchids, rather than compare positive and negative aspects of various GW forums and their members.

In my opinion, starting down that road would defeat our purpose and leave less time and energy for, as you put it so well, "almost always doing a good job of welcoming newbies, giving them sage advice (even if we sometimes offer contradictory opinions on certain things), providing external links, and things like that."

WC8

• ginnibug
    13 years ago

I agree, we are very nice and agreeable, aren't we? I love US!!! LOL I also love Slippertalk and Slipper Orchid Forum. Does anybody have any idea what OSF would be? What other orchid forums do you like? ginnibug

• gardenbear1
    13 years ago

As a newbie to growing Orchids, Ive ask some question on some other site I would be told read up on it, but not here every one tries to help and are really good about it and even send me to a site where I can learn more, I feel at home here and enjoy reading the post even if I don't always understand lots of whats being talked about, I'm learning slowly but I'm having fun at it.

Thanks for being here to help

Bear

• richardol
    13 years ago

I think it is because we have not forgotten that we were all new once.

We have our moments, the occasional subject that sets off a "lively" discussion such as a very memorable "Orchids in Interior Design" that went on for a LONG time. I have got to when there are more than about 25 responses I stop reading that posting.

Still, the general willingness to allow for diverse opinions on orchid culture and welcoming attitude is why I read this forum.

• velamina
    13 years ago

I belong to other forums but I tend to gravitate towards this one. I see friendliness in other forums as well, but I noticed that with this one the veterans are much more open to conversation, whether it be a beginner topic or something much more advanced. Thank goodness for that, it's the way we all learn from one another.

• velamina
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention I think it helps not having subcategories like other forums do, but we have a category for posting photos and I often forget about it. Maybe it's just the way this one is set up.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County