Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jetson15

Flower spike or New Plant???

Jetson15
9 years ago

This is one of my unnamed Phals. The new growth to the left of the main stem started about three weeks ago.

When this started emerging, I assumed it was a flower spike, but now I'm wondering if it is something else. It looks like it's starting to produce leaves. Is it a spike or a new plant starting to grow out of the mother plant?

Alan

Comments (16)

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

Looks like a flower spike to me. Plant is too healthy to grow another leaf set,

• Jetson15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do starting flower spikes look like they have little leaves when they start? I was expecting more of a dark smooth spike.

Here is a pic a little farther away.

• philpet
    9 years ago

I think it's a Keiki , the top of a spike would not be open like that it would be closed and sort of mitten like.velleta

• bob8_gw
    9 years ago

I second it a keiki for sure.

• Jetson15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, Keiki means a new little plant is growing, right? As it grows bigger, will it develop its own roots or is this one that will make the plant have two growing leaf sets. I've never heard of that, but my experience on Phals is very low.

If it does grow its own roots, will there be a point where I will need to cut it away from the main plant and repot to its own pot. Not sure where and how to extract it from the mother plant since it is growing right out of the main stem.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Do not be in a hurry to remove it from the mother plant, you can leave it there for ages and in due course it will become obvious where to divide.

One of mine, Phal. Hsinying Maki 'Shot Gun' made several of these basal growths (No one calls basal growths on other types of orchids Keikis) so that was a bonus.

This post was edited by arthurm on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 3:50

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Yeah it's what arthurm said 'cause it's splitting apart so it's something like a new plant. Cool, don't think I've seen that before.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

Two of my mini Phals have these too. I was hoping they were spikes! Darn!ðÂÂÂ¥

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

It is a basal keiki. Leave it alone and let it grow. It will be the same as the mother plant and if you're lucky, you'll eventually get flowers from both plants making quite a nice display.

Finding it interesting that lately it seems the breeders of these box-store Phals must be adding something new to their breeding. So many of these Phals are making basal growths without being in trouble. Has anyone noticed this?

Jane

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

It's a keiki. I have a phal with a three year old keiki. This photo shows it at about two years old. I'm hoping next year it will flower along with the parent plant. I've toyed with the idea of separating them, they both have huge independent root systems now, but always decide against it.

I couldn't answer your question about the weird BBS phals ... this guy definitely threw a keiki from stress. The orchid was at death's door before I realized the extent of the damage to its roots. Thankfully both parent plant and keiki made it and are thriving today.

• Jetson15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great insight from everyone. The plant seems happy, so I'll just let it grow and see how it does.

Thanks

• Jetson15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No doubt now. Definitely a new basal keiki plant. Really growing fast.

• philpet
    9 years ago

Congratulations Jetson and it looks as if you might have a spike coming on the other side but its way too early to be certain:) Velleta

• Jetson15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah! I've been watching that. I have 3 Phals and all three are showing those little things peeking out. Can't wait to see it they are spikes.

Jetson

• philpet
    9 years ago

Congratulations Jetson and it looks as if you might have a spike coming on the other side but its way too early to be certain:) Velleta

• philpet
    9 years ago

Don't know why or how it double posted.sorryðÂÂÂ.Velleta

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists