Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Trimming Roots on New Cattleyas

treehugger101
9 years ago

I just received several orchids with 12" or longer roots systems hanging out all over. When I grew orchids before, all of mine had nice, neat root systems contained within the pot. When the new roots started to grow past the existing pot, I transplanted them. What do I do with this huge tangle of roots? Can I trim them back to a manageable length so they fit in a pot? I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Terri

Comments (7)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

The plat is happy when it decides where the roots want to be. They know better than us. In nature the roots could be several feet long. Some longer. If you cut the roots it will live but it will take a while until the plant comes back around. It makes me very happy when I see big fat roots with translucent tips. The more the roots the more the bloom.

As plants go, orchids have a lot to be desired, generally. When they bloom you do not notice the plant. And they are beautiful.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered 9 orchids. 5 came in completely overgrown, roots and new growth hanging out of pots with very little potting medium. I never kept orchids this way. The roots in the pots are wrapped round and round. I know this is not what makes for healthy plants. I am not sure how to handle this. I Googled Overgrown Orchids and various other searches but nowhere does anyone show such a mess as these. I was hoping someone on this forum could direct me on what to do with all of these roots. There is no way they would fit in any pot no matter how large. Thanks.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

So, what sort of orchids did you buy? Have you read the pot within a pot thread started by Nick?

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I agree. You could stick the pot inside a basket and let it go. This is not the right time of year to cause any root damage. Just hang the plants and enjoy the flowers. As Shavedmonkey states, more roots, more flowers. Don't cut any roots now.

Write back in Spring and we can advise. Also, post some photos.

Jane

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I third the idea. Pot in a pot like Jane said.

3 choices.
    Specialize in orchids that in peak health have short roots. I don't know how you get that list, but maybe. However your universe of orchid choices would eliminate a lot of amazing flowers. As most orchids in good health have roots everywhere.

Cut the roots and plant them neatly in pots and specialize in orchid greenery. That would also be tough because the roots being cut affect the greenery also.

Pot in pot and let the good times roll! When the blooms start popping you will not notice the plant or the roots.

A lot of my plants are in pots that are in baskets that are hung on wires. So that way they are mobile. I can bring them to a meeting or move then around without disturbing the roots. This also allows good ventilation and drainage. The wires double as stakes. I use very fine green wire to stake a cane or pbulb. Works for me.

I smile when I see a new cluster of roots forming. It means a new growth or pbulb or cane. And that means more flowers. The new roots are step 1 in the process. I love looking at flowers. I'm not sure but I might enjoy robust plants in peak health just as much. And that takes a lot of roots!

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This concept is completely foreign to me. I grew orchids for a long time and always trimmed roots to fit the pot, even cutting off the old pseudobulbs. My plants were gorgeous and bloomed like crazy. A local orchid greenhouse owner (In Baltimore) could not believe I could rebloom annual blooming orchids twice a year. So receiving these orchids with roots like this presents a problem. I either start growing like everyone here does or go back to my old methods.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Treehugger100, you can trim the roots, won't kill the plants...but I would still wait until spring. I have done it, most times by accident when a plant fell or got knocked out of the pot. I have also done it on plants I wasn't that worried about.

I've had plants that I repotted which were cemented to clay pots and I wanted them out. They lost a lot of roots in the process.

I will clean up the torn roots by clipping them and stuffing them in a new pot. Usually you will set the plant back a year. You might get some flowers and it always recovers and catches up quickly - if healthy and happy.

I didn't discuss this because I thought you were new to orchids, but if you've done it before, you know its a set-back but the plants will recover and be fine.

This is something that you decide on your own. Its not a death sentence if the plant is healthy. If its in decline, I would not cut the roots.

I have used rooting hormone on cut roots, but again, in the Spring. If you trim the roots in Spring, at the first sign of root development, the hormone will cause the cut roots to branch and the plant will be fine. Might lose some flowers, but you won't kill the plant.

You have experience, trust your judgement.

Jane