Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seik4123

Repot Aeranthes Grandiose ?

Sheila
9 years ago

I should have repotted this spring, but ..... It didn't happen :(

It's in a 5" clay pot, gifted to me by an orchid friend who knew she wouldn't have a place to grow the plant. It had 13 blooms on it that summer, not near that kind of bloom this past year, but it has grown four basal kiekis. Now it's falling out of the side of it's pot. It recently lost two leaves from the main plant midway up the stalk and I don't want to see it go downhill any more

Comments (9)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Nope- well you could repot it but it's supposed to lean like that.

• Sheila
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cooper, do you grow this plant? Are they fussy about having roots disturbed? I've read conflicting info. I know angraecoids don't like their roots disturbed.

• highjack
    9 years ago

I've never found this family to be too fussy about root disturbance. In a 5" pot, you could probably soak the entire pot, saturate the roots and then up pot it to a bigger pot.

The four basal growths is a good thing, this is how they multiply. With the new growths this is probably the optimum time to report.

For me, the hardest thing about this family is keeping fungal or bacterial issues off the leaves or keeping them from getting crown rot. I've had more crown rot issues with the Angraecum family than any other species. The leaves in this group with have more black marks than on any other species.

Brooke

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Oh- no I watched a video about how when orchids lean they do that because they like light and that you can put rocks in the pot to keep it from falling over. Nice plant though.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Granniek, I grow a bunch of these. My largest is about 4ft tall.

This is not the time to repot. I would just stick the pot inside another larger pot and wait for spring. If it must come out, take it out carefully and just up-pot it without disturbing the roots.
    The Crestwood is spiking now. If you look down inside the upper leaves you might see the spikes. It always flowers in Dec/Jan.

I have repotted mine numerous times. I am careful about the roots. Even so, I've lost some flowering. It has always flowered but flowered less the year I repotted.

This photo shows the plant sitting in a basket to keep the small pot from falling over. It is not planted in the basket, just sitting inside. It is potted in a clay pot. I stuffed the basket with Styrofoam.

I would just support the plant, give it lots of sun and wait for spring.

Jane

• Sheila
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brooke, I'm dealing with a bacterial outbreak right now. An OS friend suggested I use alcohol and just wipe or spray the leaves a couple times a day for several days. The spotting came on suddenly. It was a beautiful plant before the attack. Then I lost the two leaves in the middle of the pot.

Jane, your angraecum is gorgeous. Are you speaking of your Ang getting 4' tall or my Aeranthes? I was told my plant would fill out in girth, but I thought it would not get much taller than it is now???

• highjack
    9 years ago

Yes those spots do come on fast. I use Physan on a paper towel or q-tip to clean the leaves. When it is humid, the spots do come back and they subside when the humidity is lower.

I should have been more specific when I said soak the pot I forgot to include the part about breaking the clay pot and then put the entire mass into another container. For me, the pot in a pot gets too heavy for me to deal because this type of plant gets massive.

My favorite time to repot a plant is when new growths appear. I have also been known to repot at my convenience when necessary. I haven't lost a plant yet.

Hope this helps - Brooke

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Granniek, I'm so sorry, wrong plant! Your photo does not look like Aeranthes. I thought it was Angraceum.

I do have Aeranthes Grandiose. I've had it about 10 years. I presently have it bare root in a hanging basket. When I lived in NY, it got crown rot and the mother plant died. It had two offshoots which do flower a few times a year. I left them together.

I can't advise you about repotting. Mine was growing in a plastic pot when I decided to put it in a basket with some coco liner and sphag. Most of the roots are outside the media. I repotted the plant when I moved to Florida and just stuck it in a basket.

I haven't had fungal issues since moving here. It does hang in a tree with good air. This is a photo from last year. It is a sequential bloomer and you can see one of the flowers hanging below the pot.

Jane

• Sheila
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Brooke. I have Phyton 27. I'll have to check the label and compare online to Physan.

I love the baskets with the coconut liners! I wish my local nurseries had them in smaller sizes. I must check online. I'd prefer putting this grandiose in one of these baskets to cut down on the weight of the plant.

We are having gorgeous Fall weather. Lower temps make it much more enjoyable to be out working with the plants. Will the Aeranthes and angraecum resent temps down to 50*? I'd really like to keep them outside as long as possible.