Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miniature Orchids for a Terrarium

Posted by lonewolf_amar 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 18:04

Hey,

My wife might want to raise some orchids which is wonderful news for me.

I told her that there are miniature orchids and she seemed rather interested when I told her that it was possible to take one of the 30G aquariums that we have sitting empty into a terrarium for some miniature orchids. I have never done this but saw some posts of people that have.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas of some minis that would work for this that would be on the easier side to raise and some potential sources for them.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miniature Orchids for a Terrarium

The possibilities are almost endless, but what you grow depends on what kind of lighting you can provide. I'm using a 10 gal aquarium right now with an open top and have 20 plants in there and still room to spare. You can have potted plants in the bottom and mounted plants hanging from the sides, so it's really possible to grow a lot in a small space.

Here's a few that have done exceptionally well for me:

Any of the Restrepia - the flowers are like little aliens and just cute as can be.

Pleurothallis picta is another cutie and blooms several times a year with dozens and dozens of tiny, brilliant yellow flowers.

Aerangis mystacidii - is mounted and hanging from the side.
White flowers.

Maxillaria sophronitis - is mounted and also hanging from the side. It has brilliant orange flowers

Sophronitis cernua - might be a possibility depending on how much light you can give it. Blooms several times per year or more and again, brilliant orange flowers. Absolutely adorable!

Check out Lynn O'Shaughnessy for the Restrepia and Pleuros.
Link below.

Also check Oak Hill and J & L Orchids.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Lynn

o

Dendrobium jenkinisii _creeping, mat forming plant with spring orange flowers smells sweet like honey.

Dendrobium abberans - dwarf species from higher elevations of New Guinea. Blooms with small white flowers. Really nice species for terrariums.

Cattleya luteola - Small species that doesnt grow much more than 4-5" with yellow flowers diffused with red in the lip. Needs bright light, and doesnt like to be constantly wet.

Dockarillas might work too.

o

Depending on your temperatures and light many of the Masdevallias may work for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here