Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnrebekah

New to Orchids

TNRebekah
9 years ago

hello everyone i live in Tennessee and have just gottten my first orchids i have 4 total 2 of them are Dendrobium Orchids and 2 are Phalaenopsis Orchids only one of them has a name it is P. Sogo Yukidian. i am looking for any information about them i can get. The Sogo has leaves that are redish and soft looking what should i do about it?

Comments (8)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Hi Rebecca, i've put a link to the American Orchid Society culture sheets for Phalaenopsis below.

Some Phalaenopsis have reddish tones on the leaves but maybe not normal for Phal. Sogo Yukidian.

Maybe if you explain what you mean by soft looking and describe where you have the orchid, someone will be able to help....

Here is a link that might be useful: American Orchid Society Notes

• TNRebekah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry should have explained it better they are redish yellow looking and squishy. it has good roots but the leaves are very unhealthy looking. I can try to post a picture of it. i have them in my kitchen window at the moment they get indirect light all day except early morning when they get direct light for a couple of hours.

• TNRebekah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is a picture of it

• arthurm
    9 years ago

So, having read all the notes, do you know why this happened? Those leaves will probably drop off, leaving you with a much depleted plant. Are there sufficient drainage holes at the base of the plant? How often to you water, what is the potting mix, what are the temperatures like in your kitchen, was the plant stressed in the trip from purchase point to your home?

• TNRebekah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

arthurm that is how it looked when i got it it was in a very nasty looking bark mix so i put it in some moss to let the roots breath until i could find out what to do. i think it looks a little better than it did the roots went from a grey green color to a healthy green. i thought the leaves might be a lost cause but it does have some new ones coming out so i am very hopeful it will make it. I bought it for $6.00 on clearance at Lowes so it is a rescue.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Sounds good and the $6 price tag is a plus. If you can revive and flower it to its potential you will have a stunning orchid.
    Lots of images on google.

• Calzoner
    9 years ago

Top leaves turning yellow like that is usually bad news. Leads me to believe possible crown rot from incorrect watering practices. Those two yellow leaves will definitely drop, if that new leave starting to emerge turns yellow as well, you are most likely going to lose the plant unfortunately.

Keep us posted on its progress

• tanie51
    9 years ago

The new leaf and the bottom leaves are nice and green, there's hope! Can't see much the color of the roots but they look okay for me. I would take a pointy knife and slit and cut holes around the pot, also cut some holes (I use scissors) to snip around in the bottom of the pot for air and drainage. put the pot on some gravel or something to lift it above the bottom so the water doesn't touch the bottom of the pot after you water it. Then I think they will be okay. I rescued a couple of those, they do take time but they all live. One of them even giving me a spike right now. So, be patience and good luck!

Tanie

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio