Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite catt species + need recommendations

Posted by orchid_123 z7 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 19:28

I've been growing many catt hybrids and I want to try a species catt. I'm interested in the ones with pink and/or white flowers. I did some research and came up with over a dozen species that match the description.

This question is more like a survey: which one is your favorite catt species?

And which one would you recommend for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite catt species + need recommendations

Perhaps ease of culture in your conditions in zone 7 may be a major factor.
Two easy to grow species here are Cattleya intermedia and Cattleya maxima. Zone 7?

o

Posted pics of some varieties of Cattleya intermedia over on the photo gallery.

o

While it is neither pink nor white, the easiest Cattleya species IMO is Cattleya forbesii.

Please, note that I am in Md, not far from Pa, USDA zone 7 (barely), latitude 39N.

--Stitz--

o

My favorite is C. (Laelia) purpurata and I am trying to collect all variations. This is a species I don't mind having duplicates sitting around taking up space.

This is the purpurata v. werkhauseri Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com This is purpurata v. flamea Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com This is purpurata v. carnea Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com This is purpurata v. aneleta Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

I'm now trying to collect as many C. intermedia Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Intermedia are smaller growers if space is an issue and there is a very wide variety available.

Enjoy the pursuit!

Brooke

o

I love intermedia for the ease of growing. I have collected quite a few vars
I love Catt bowringiana - it is strikingly beautiful when covered with blooms. I especially like the coerulea vars. Easy to grow.
Like Brooke, I collect Purpurata - my favorite. Lots of vars out there to keep a collector happy. Mine bloom with lots of light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here