Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimbo0108

empty cattleya sheaths?

jimbo0108
9 years ago

What causes catts to grow sheaths out of their new growth but not flower? I had 2 do it so far this year and I'm curious so I can stop this from happening in the future.

Comments (10)

• jimbo0108
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One that didn't flower the sheath has gotten brown and died with no flower...I haven't cut it off yet but also has another pseudobulb growing....this is the same situation with the 2nd one but the sheath hasn't died on the 2nd one...I won't cut it just in case but it is starting to yellow a little. although the 2nd one is new to me I've never seen it flower and was disappointed...hopefully the 2nd pseudobulb will have better luck on both...The 2nd catt. Is a bifoliate and the pseudobulb only produced 1 leaf...I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong...catts aren't my strong point the pseudobulbs always seem to get wrinkled and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...this year I'm changing media and watering frequency to see if that helps...

• vtandrea
    9 years ago

This happens to me over and over with catts. I put mine in hydroton so I wouldn't over-water and have them closest to the grow light, but sheaths and no flowers seem to be the rule. If I leave on the empty brown sheaths, they never produce flowers. One catt produced a sheath and I could see the flower inside, so when it got near the top, I gently sliced open the sheath. It still hasn't come out! Very frustrating, since the list of orchids I can grow is increasing, but apparently cattleyas do not like living in my house.

• meg_w (9b) Bradenton
    9 years ago

As Arthurm said ancestry is an important factor. I have a cattleya for which this is normal. (it's Mildred Rives 'Orchidglade', I think.) I get one new growth on each lead in the summer. They produce a sheath that just turns brown and sits there. Come spring I get another new growth on each lead which sheaths and blooms right away. Last summers brown sheaths bloom right along with them. It's quite a lovely display! I learned form this plant to not mess with a brown sheath until after the next normal bloom cycle.

M

• arthurm
    9 years ago

What might be easy in Florida or here, might be extremely difficult under lights or indoors. Some of those spring flowering "Cattleyas" might need a wimpy winter to decide to flower in spring.
    The ones that grow a pseudobulb and flower straight away might be better indoors or under lights?

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Jimbo 108, could you please add your growing zone to your profile? It is so hard to give advice when we don't know where you live.

Jane

• jimbo0108
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok very good I won't cut anything off and hope for the best. Thanks for the help

• jimbo0108
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in SW Florida zone 9b I believe it is but yes I will include from now on

• garlicgrower
    9 years ago

Sometimes very young plants produce the empty sheath....my husband says they are just "practicing.' ; -)
    ML

• jimbo0108
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You were right Arthur thank you...The second orchid I don't think will produce a flower but this one is