Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanie51

miltonia

tanie51
10 years ago

Need advice!

I got a miltonia last June, it was in full bloom and still has a short spike was coming out of the leaf. When I bought it, I thought by the time the others are finished, this spike will give me new flowers. Well, the spike didn't seem to grow and the pot when I bought the plant were 2 main ones and a lots of new shoots were coming out, the pot was almost busted so after the flowers were gone. I re potted and also separated the plant into 2 pots. That was about over a month ago. I still don't see the new shoot and spike grow any taller yet they look quite healthy. The new leaves on one of the new shoot are crunching look like a accordion type. I went on internet to look for information about this orchid and the conditions of all that, some said it lacks of water, some said either too much water or underwater. I hope some of you will help me to save and rebloom this orchid. I just started this "addiction" since June when I bought one after another and went crazy about them. They were all bloomed when I bought them but now they are all finished blooming. My dendrobium seems doing well and so are the Phals and Oncidium. Not blooming but I see new roots and new leaves except for this Mil. just standstill. . Just to let you know I live in Canada and this is Fall season, all my orchids are by the west facing window. It doesn't have sun shine in anymore like a month ago but the room is still bright especially when I open the sheer curtain. All your advice of which kind of orchids will do well in my home and that kind of things are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments (20)

• arthurm
    10 years ago

The Miltonia might be a Miltoniopsis which needs different culture. Here are some pics.
    Typical Miltoniopsis
    {{gwi:160564}}

Typical Miltonia
    {{gwi:160565}}

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine must be Miltoniopsis, the picture you posted it is exact the one I have.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Miltonias are relatively easy, Miltoniopsis are very difficult. Most people fail to get Miltoniopsis to rebloom. Key is to give them even temperature all year long. Cool, 60F to 70F in the summer, warm (same temp) in the winter. I used to suffer consistent losses until I learned to put them in the cold GH in the summer and the warm GH in the winter. Now they seem to be happy and actually are reblooming.

I give 'Orchids 101' lectures at our 2 annual shows and tell people that if they must have that plant to take lots of pictures of the flowers as in all probability it will never bloom for them again. Despite their difficulty, this is a big money maker for the vendors who sell tons of them as their flowers prove irresistible to the unwary public.

Good luck, Nick

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Nick!

Tanie

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

One of the members here Highjack/Brooke, posted this about growing them indoors:

"I would suggest growing your Miltoniopsis close to an air conditioning vent in the summer and in front of a cold window during the winter. They dislike warm temps.

They also need lots of moisture or the leaves will wrinkle. They dislike sun except for "maybe" a couple of hours in the early a.m. "

Good luck,

Bob

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Bob!

tanie

• vtandrea
    10 years ago

Is it a good sign if mine is putting out new growth? Sad to think it may never bloom for me.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

All depends on your conditions. Some people bloom them, others do not. Most everyone has their Miltonias bloom

Give it a shot, Nick

• tanie51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Accordion can mean too much water also. If the moss is soggy and packed tightly, no air gets to the roots and with root deterioration you get the accordion effect. This by the way is irreversible so even if you do everything, it right will not correct itself. Ignore the accordions and look at the newly forming leaves. As long as the moss is fairly fresh, it should work. George Vasquez from Zuma Canyon who sells zillions of Phaelies in moss recommends one turkey baster per week of water, no more Or one shot glass Add your fertilizer to that. Even temp, medium light and nothing else you can do other than to sit back and hope for the best.

When all else fails study the care sheet of Akatsuka at

http://www.akatsukaorchid.com/store/pg/32-Miltonia-Care.aspx

These guys sell more Miltoniopsis than anyone else and are also a good source of new plants should you become successful. Having a stable of a bunch of these in bloom would be`fantastic. Join the club however, many of us have studied this guys advice and are no more successful than before. Moving to Hawaii would help. My so called success is limited to a bunch of plants which are no longer dying and occasionally produce a so-so flower. Nothing spectacular.

Good luck, Nick

• vtandrea
    10 years ago

Wait, now you're saying that too much water can cause the pleated leaves? I've never read that before. Does everyone agree on that?

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Too much water in well draining media won't do it but if you have old moss, tightly packed, you can create a swamp and that can do it.

Nick

• vtandrea
    10 years ago

How often should the moss be replaced?

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Once a year is a standard answer. When there is slimy green algae on the surface I also try to do something.

Nick

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Friends,

Just want to show you first re bloom of my miltoniopsis. There they are, just open since last night first 3 buds. There are 11 flower spike all together, these are the first there are still spikes coming yet. Most spikes have 3 buds. So, I guest I'll have my milt blooming until at least Fall. Thank to you all who has been giving me advise to make this plant successful to rebloom for me.

Tanie

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pix.

Enjoy!

Tanie

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Wow, Tannie you have become an 'orchid expert!' I am so impressed. I have tried to grow those for years when I lived in NY and they always declined. Never had luck with them but always loved their blooms.

You have done so well, you have the magic touch!

Jane

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Second that statement.

Nick

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Your miltoniopsis is very beautiful Tanie.

Allymarie

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank to you all. You have helped me with this. I was just an instrument doing what you advised me.
    I went on a hike today on the mountain. Just got home but want to show you this too. This orchid grows on the mountain and every summer when I go hike I see them. There are lady slipper orchid and few more kinds but today was just my first on the mountain.This one is called Stripe Coral or something like that.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

How pretty and delicate looking. What a thrill to find a naturally growing orchid.

Jane

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living