Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I doing to my orchid?

Posted by scooter028 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 20:49

I received a phal as a gift and after it dropped its blooms I repotted it in a classic phal mix that I bought from repotme.com. One of its leaves is yellow and almost translucent. All of the leaves were previously super sark green so I moved it to an area with some more light, mostly morning sun. Can you tell if I am over or underwatering or overexposing it to sun? Maybe a bad repot job? I am determined to keep this alive as I've killed so many orchids in the past and now that I've done research and repotted properly (or so I think) I'm hoping this one makes it. Thanks for any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I doing to my orchid?

You don't mention how you are watering...daily? weekly? etc? Other than that, one yellow leaf is not the end of the world...LOL...just cut it off. As a rule, I water my Phal every 7 to 10 days, with a little fertilizer every second or third watering. Morning sun is not bad, but it likes bright light more. Poke a little wooden stick into the pot and see if it comes up dry or moist. If completely dry, water it fully...also daily water spraying is a good idea too. Good luck

o

I water thoroughly about every five days or when the mix is dry. I fertilize lightly every other time. It's in a garden window so it does get cooler at night and gets direct sun until about 3pm, after that until about 5 it's indirect. Just wanted to make sure I could cut off the leaf and it would keep going and that this wasn't telling of something damaging that I was doing.

o

Looks like you cooked the leaf, but the leaf above it doesn't show any sign of trauma? I've done this before. Cut it off and seal the cut w/ cinnamon. See what that does and let us know. gb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here