Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker_sp

Snails & slugs

tucker_sp
9 years ago

What do you experts out there suggest for snails & slugs, particularly on mounted plants that have moss growing on the mounts. I have a nice mounted Odontoglossum that I got from Orchidnick, and it produced 4 inflorescences, all of which had the tips eaten by what I would call bush snails if I were still in Florida. The snails and occasional slugs have caused me a lot of grief this summer, when I really never had much problem with them before. Any suggestions welcome - thanks!

Tucker

Comments (2)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Get sluggo! There are 2 types. One with an extra poison and one without. Get without the poison. It is made from iron. Can be used on a garden. Safe for humans and animals. The snails and slugs are attracted to the iron. They eat it and die.

If you see a few they are in your yard. I use a hand spreader. I spread it on all planted areas. Everywhere but the grass.

If you have a small yard one or 2, 1 pound box of sluggo. Get it from Home depot at around $9 a lb.

But if you have a big yard get a 25lb bag $80 to $100 a bag depending on freight. Between my neighbors and members of my society we got 6 bags to improve the freight. It is about $60 plus freight. my first bag costed $50 freight buying it alone one bag at a time. Still a very big savings over h depot.

The 25 lbs lasted me about 3 years. Works out to around $3 a pound. http://www.growers-inc.com/16-sluggo25.html is the link where I bought it. What a coincidence! I have 6 bags arriving today!

It melts away in 10 days depending on the rain. If your neighbors participate the benefits are longer lasting. If you have snails and slugs it seems the best you can do is control them. Cant be eliminated.

Damn things are nasty. They eat anything. Especially like the new tender growths. They especially like garden seed germinations. When I sow seeds I put down some pellets. I might repeat if the germination is more than 10 days. Like cilantro.

There are giant snails the size of your fist down in Miami. Invasive. And the carry a nasty bacteria.

I am the president of the dead snail society. Send me your $$$ contributions....lol

• nuts2
    9 years ago

Another thing to remember is to put down whatever slug pellet you are using after 2 weeks again. Repeat this 4 times - ie 8 weeks. This because the little ones hatch and start the cycle all over again - better to get rid of them once and for all but do remember to put some more down when the new growths start coming through and when its flowering time. good Luck.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals