Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchid_123

Have you ever bought an orchid online and...

orchid_123
13 years ago

...even though it was supposed to be healthy, it turned out that the orchid was unhealthy? For example, it had rotten roots, pests, diseases, sickly leaves, damage, etc.

This is just a survey about your experiences with purchasing orchids online. Can be from any online source. You don't have to say the vendor's name if you don't want to.

Comments (10)

• rjlinva
    13 years ago

I will say that I've only recently started to buy orchids online. I've been thrilled with all of my purchases. They have exceeded my expectations in regard to healthy large plants. So far I've ordered only from

Hauserman
    Carter and Holmes
    Oak Hill

I am loving my new orchid addiction.

Robert

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Hausermann's ships healthy, superb plants. Very often, they ship plants which are much larger than advertised. The other two noted by Robert are good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchids by Hausermann, Inc

• smwboxer
    13 years ago

I love Parkside, Housermann's, Andy's and Santa Barbara. On the other end, Orchids.com (never know what you will get) and OrchidWeb(expensive, so-so plants) are not worth my time or money

• whitecat8
    13 years ago

Except for my next-to-the-last order, everything's been excellent. The newest leaf on a Phal from Hausermann's was torn in half by another leaf that was bent the wrong way during packing. Additionally, the plant didn't look very healthy.

I sent an email, along with several clear pix, asking what their policy was for a torn leaf. After a few days, I left a voice message. Never heard from them.

That said, these vendors have been exceptional:

Andy's
    Big Leaf
    Carter & Holmes
    Exotic Orchids of Maui
    J & L
    Komodo
    New World
    Parkside
    Pine Ridge
    Seagrove
    Sunset
    van Bourgondien for Habenaria radiata & a houseplant (Dutchbulbs.com)

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

I have bought hundreds of orchids online from dozens of dealers over the past years and almost without exception, been perfectly pleased. Occasionally there's a glitch, but the various vendors have always taken care of it.

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

I make it a practice to take every new orchid out of it's pot and start all over. I have found occasional poor potting media, with the poor roots that goes along with this, on occasions. This has been the case for all vendors, even some of the best.

Nick

• arthurm
    13 years ago

I have just purchased 54 orchids for an orchid society to on-sell and as raffle plants. Plants were" Nursery their choice re. pot sizes and Genera". The plants were fine.....but it is worth noting that the potting mix was designed to reduce freight costs and the plants are best repotted because there is not much nourishment in said mix.
    Cost per plant $10. Freight $40.

Freight on small orders here would be a big proportion of the cost.Over there?

• ron_tacoma
    13 years ago

Most of my orchids have come thru the mail and in most cases I am satisfied. I do use ebay a lot and only buy plants were I can see the actually picture of the plant you will receive. Otherwise they show pictures of a niece orchid and they send you are seedling. I am too old to wait for a seedling to flower. If I am satisfied I add them to my vendor list. I had a post a week or so ago subject: Buyer beware. suggest you read it.

• arthurm
    13 years ago

There are some nurseries that are very trustworthy hence the "your choice" criteria. They will not send you junk, i received mericlones, seedlings and about a dozen plants in bud.

Life is hard as a single orchid grower, better to find an orchid buddy or two or join an orchid society to bulk order and save on freight and maybe get a discount for a large order.

• ron_tacoma
    13 years ago

arthum: Is right. Our club members have gotten together and bough orchids from Thailand, Philipines. Equador, to name a few. Most of these places won't ship unless they have a mimimum order of $500 or $800. So getting together with your fellow members and placing a order you can really score.
    Another thing for new growers. Joint your local orchid society. I have been a member for 15 years and there is not a meeting that goes by that I don't learn something new.