Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oboist1

Broken orchid - is there hope?

Oboist1
18 years ago

Hello!

My good friend has an orchid in her room, and a paper towel roll fell on top if it somehow and snapped the flower off! I know nothing about orchids and neither does she (she had to purchase it for an art class she's taking and is just keeping it now because she has nothing else to do with it).

She fears that it will die, but I think it has hope, because the plant (although flowerless now) still has two leaves and the stem, of course. If I could get some information for her, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~Steph

Comments (26)

• orkid15
    17 years ago

something along the same lines happened to me. I was opening my window and the orchid fell off the window sill. When I picked it up the stem had bent. It didn't break completely or snap off, it just bent and a little bit of liquid dripped out. I put it back up on the sill and put a small hair clip on the bend and attatched it back to the spike i originally came on. Should this be ok? Will my orchid continue to flower and did I ruin it??? It's only been about a day or so and I havent noticed significant browning or death of any flower. Any tips?

• billbt
    17 years ago

It seems as if most of you are refering to broken flower spikes (or stems), in which case the plant itself should be fine. However, you may have to wait a few months to a year before you get another set of flowers.

• orkid15
    17 years ago

Well, if the "spike" is the long thing that sticks straight up out of the pot and gets tied to a stick or something then yea. The flowers grow out of that. If it in fact is broken, should I cut it? Will another complete spike grow or will the flowers (in a year or so) begin to grow from the same spike that originally broke?

• risingpower1
    17 years ago

Chances are it'll branch off somewhere else, especially if it's a phalaenopsis, so leave it.

RP1

• Creeping_Fig
    17 years ago

Do you know what type of orchids you have? Try searching phalaenopsis in google image search and see if it looks similar to your orchids.

If you do have a phalaenopsis (my guess), then there is a good chance that a new flower stem may form and that you will have more flowers in 1-2 months. In any case, the plant will not die once the flower spike is broken. Even if your plant does not re-flower right now, if cared for properly it will flower again by next year.

CF

• orkid15
    17 years ago

thank you very much for all your insight! My orchid is definately a phalaenopsis and by the looks of things there wasnt severe damage. just a little bend and some leakage from the spot where it bent, but the stem/spike is still in one relatively good piece and the flowers are still doing good. I got this orchid as a gift about a month ago and it really intruiged me. I gained more interested in them after seeing the movie 'Adaptation.' Any orchid lover would appreciate that movie ( i recommend it!). But anyway, if i have any more questions or need anymore help i'll just ask. Thanks again!

• aedolls
    17 years ago

I have a different type of "broken." This weekend I bought some phals from Lowes. They were just being unpacked and I couldn't resist, Mother's Day and all. Anyway when I got home and took a closer look I noticed that there were two plants in one container. One plant however looks like the top part of the stalk was broken out leaving about two or three leaves at the bottom. If I am careful will the plant eventually send up a new leaf? I didn't want to separate them yet.

• nora_cy_lee
    17 years ago

Occasionally I broke the flower spikes, phal and cymb. The only thing I did was to wait for new spikes. They came back but usually took at least a year or so.

• orkid15
    17 years ago

I bought my orchid pretty young so it was in a small pot. It seems that two green looking roots(??) are growing out of the moss and creeping out of the pot. I'm assuming its time to replant or give the flower a larger area to grow, how would i go about replanting it? or should i just leave it for a while? Any recommendations??

• orchid126
    17 years ago

Orchid15, you have a totally different topic to your question. I think you would get more attention and replies if you started a new thread.

• dollybee
    17 years ago

Hi there,

I received my very first orchid three months ago from my husband. I love these plants. How beautiful!! So, about three weeks ago I got my first bloom. Now they just keep popping out like crazy. It's so pretty, but my first three week old bloom has been growing weak and wilting, so like most "spent flowers" I figured it needed to be pulled off. Well, as I was pulling it off, the whole rest off the spike came off with all the new blooms on it and the three weak old dried up flower is still haning on to the original spike. I was sick! So, now I have the original spike in the pot like normal, and this snapped off footlong spike with ten blooms on it and more forming. Is there hope if I stick this broken off spike in water, and will my original "still potted" spike ever grow again? PLEASE HELP!!! I don't want to throw it away if it's going to regrow! I could cry!!

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

You should have started a new thread. I hope others stop by.

I don't understand your question. How many spikes did the plant have? Two?? If you pulled off the spike with the buds, you can put it in water and the buds should open.

Was the other spike damaged? If not, it should open it's buds.
    I'm assuming you have a Phal. Write back with the answers, and if your plant has a tag, write the name.

Jane

• delores-2007
    17 years ago

The stem with several opened blooms broke off the orchid plant when it fell. I stuck the stem back into the pot beside the plant. Will this keep the orchids in bloom, make roots, or just wither up? This is my first Orchid plant, that I have had since early February, and it was doing very well until it fell about 3 feet.

Dee

i'

Dee

• orchid126
    17 years ago

Dee, the spike will appear to be alive because the media will keep it fresh, but it will not sprout new roots and grow for you. You're better off putting it in a vase of water. The flowers will last longer.

• melisamad
    16 years ago

I have an orchid that fell last night. the stem with the blooms and buds is still attached. should i leave it attached or should i cut it off? then I have an orchid that fell about 3-4 weeks ago the stem broke off should I just leave the stem or do I need to cut it down? thanks

• orchid126
    16 years ago

Melisamad, you don't need to cut anything off unless it's wilting or turning brown. If it turns brown, cut it off about one inch from the plant. If it's still green, cross your fingers.

• barguhande_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hello,

I have a phalaenopsis orchide for 1 year. The first flowers are already gone yet with my care, it flowered again. Today, when I was atering my orchide, I accidentally broke a stem/ spray full of 7 flowers. I stuck it inside the pot. Is there a way to save this stem? Will it live inside th epot? or is there another way to root it?

• wiggyfruit1_live_com
    12 years ago

my blue diamond orchid had several bloomed flowers on it and it had fall and the stem had snapped. will it grow from where it was broken, or will a new stem comefrom the leaves? and would it be ok to give it a bigger pot?

• Estelle du Toit
    8 years ago

I accidentally broke the stem of the orchid with the buds off. Will the buds still bloom if I put the stem in water with some orchid food?

• suzabanana (6b Boston/N. Shore)
    8 years ago

Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to try.

• lmallen7777
    8 years ago

I have a phalaenopsis orchid given as gift..a new leaf about 6 in long got caught in my drapes and tore so what to do?

• arthurm2015
    8 years ago

Why not start a new thread? This one is ancient. Sigh! What is the extent of the damage?

If is still attached to the mother plant it still might provide nourishment though it might look a bit unsightly.

• nelsonsyachts
    6 years ago

Looking for an answer and cannot find, so I appreciate any assistance. My trashcan find orchids (3 now) one had a 10 inch flower spike with new flowers starting to appear. While repositioning my stake, the new buds broke off. Any chance new flower buds will appear, or should I just cut the spike off and wait for a new spike to grow?

• arthurm2015
    6 years ago

Here is a link to an FAQ that might help.

Flower spikes on Phalaenopsis

• nelsonsyachts
    6 years ago

Perfect! Thank you so much. I've never bought an orchid, but have found 3 in the trash after their flowers were gone. The first, found 2 year's ago, has yellow, 5 pedal flowers that have a nice fresh scent. It seems to flower frequently. The one in question is a newer find and being new to this I was disappointed I broke the new flower buds off. Now I feel much better!