Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cattleya leaf tips turning brown/yellow? Help please

Posted by orchid_123 z7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 23:26

I got a cattleya and its leaf tips are turning brown and yellow. Some leaf tips are brown, others are brown with a yellow band, and others are just yellow. Only the tips (the top half inch) are affected. The affected leaves include both older and newer leaves. Several leaves are looking like this. The plant is otherwise large and healthy with good roots.

I haven't had the plant for long. I don't remember if the tips were like that when I got it...I think they were a little yellowish.

Temp 65-70 deg indoors with humidity at around 40%. Sunlight...not as bright as it should be.

Is this anything to worry about? What should I do? I really like this catt because it's very special and I want it to be happy!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cattleya leaf tips turning brown/yellow? Help please

I have one like that too, and thought it was too close to the grolite so I moved it down, I had it on a block to raise it under the lite. It is about the same but hasnt got any worse, so will see. It almost looked sunburned thats why I moved it down. Tricia

o
RE: Cattleya leaf tips turning brown/yellow? Help please

Most frequently this is cosmetic damage from overdosing with fertilizer. Give the tips time to thoroughly dry and then carefully clip close to healthy growth with sterile cutters, being sure you don't cut into firm flesh. If the tips do not just dry, you have another problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here