Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help i cut the flower stem off of my orchids!!!

Posted by wendyt81 ca (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 23:35

will they ever grow back? and if yes how can i help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help i cut the flower stem off of my orchids!!!

Hello :) There are many different kinds of orchids and each kind is grown a bit differently so the answer would vary. What kind of an orchid do you have? If you're not sure what it is you can google "phalaenopsis" which is one of the most popular orchids and easily available locally. The American Orchid Society also has culture sheets with pictures of other kinds of orchids which might help you identify it

AOS Culture Sheets

Please post again and say what kind it is so someone can help you. You can also include a picture of your orchid in your post which would be helpful.

How to include images in a post

o

Hi Wendy. So many orchid growers have done the exact same thing. I sure did when I was new to orchids. And then, two years later and more experienced, I cut off a spike again! (In the orchid world, a stem is called a spike.)

As for it getting fixed, like angeleyedcat said, it depends on the kind of orchid. Also how much of the stem is left.

Is there a plastic tag in your pot? It could help solve the mystery.

Every orchid blooms again, if it gets suitable care. Because it might take awhile, orchids can teach you patience... or not.

o

Well, aren't you a silly billy! Presumably you knew afterwards it was a flower spike, so WHY DID YOU DO IT? What were you thinking?

o

ifraser - In the instant before lopping it off, I thought it was a spike that had flowered and lost all the blossoms. That caught my attention! WC8

o

Don't Worry!! I did that 12 or 13 years ago when I got my first orchid, and still have the same orchid (dend.) blooming twice a year. Maybe your ochid will bloom from the same stem if not, it will be keikies (babies) from the bottom of your orchid, your isn't death or will die for this reason, continue watering and fertilizing it as usual.
Hughs,
Alma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here