Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonspad_gw

My Orchid leaves are starting to turn yellow

jasonspad
15 years ago

My orchid leasves are starting to turn yellow I believe it to be a type of Bakerara it was done flowering a month ago.Is this normal?

Comments (11)

• Sheila
    15 years ago

I'm not familiar with Bakerara. But, as long as it's the lower leaves yellowing, it's nothing to be alarmed about. Lower leaves do eventually die off on plants, including orchids. Can you post a picture or describe exactly what's happening?

• jasonspad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have done a little more research and now believe we have a phalaenopsis she has 5 leaves and it's the botton 2-3 that are turning yellow. We really enjoy her and dont want to lose her.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

A one leaf loss at the base of the plant is a normal event. 2-3 leaves turning yellow doesn't sound good. To get good advice you need to describe your growing conditions and give more info. such as how long you have had the plant? has the plant flowered? and so on...

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Research is good! I agree with Arthurm on a phal, losing two or three leaves is cause for concern. Is the plant in a transparent pot? Can you see good green roots? How long have you had it? Did you buy it in bloom? Have you repotted it recently? What is the growing medium? What kind of light is it growing in? Watering schedule? Are the remaining leaves a good color & firm? This info will help us to give you advice.

• kristenlovesplants
    15 years ago

I have a beautiful Phalaenopsis "Sand Spots" Orchid that was given to me as a gift on Jan 17th. It had 4 or 5 blossoms on it when I received it and then a couple more openned later. One didn't open but fell off. Today is March 16 and there are still six blossoms between the two spikes. One spike is 15" and the other is 11" or so. there were originally 7 leaves, however the two smallest lower leaves yellowed and fell off last month as did another small lower leaf yesterday. I have fed the plant once per month with Schultz Expert Gardener Orchid Food 19-31-17. I also water and drain once per week. It seems very happy except for the three lower leaves that were lost. We live in the mountains of north Georgia and it has been cold. I keep the inside temp between 72 and 76 degrees. We have high ceilings, so the heat rises. The plant has been located at countertop level. Occasionally I set it near a bright window. Today I raised it to a level of about 6 feet and about 4 or 5 feet from a light fixture that is about 2 feet higher and has 5 60 watt light bulbs in the chandalier. I am hoping that will do the trick...more light. On warmer days, maybe I should put it out under a deciduous tree in my shady yard. What do you think?

• mehitabel
    15 years ago

this is for kristenlovesplants:

"occasionally I set it near a bright window". I think this is your culprit. Trust me, your phals needs a *lot* more light than that. And, sorry to bring bad news: setting it 4-5 feet from a light source isn't going to do it.

I keep my blooming phals *in* an unshaded south or west window all winter. In the south window they get at least 4 hours of direct sun (on the half of the days when the sun actually shines in winter).

Watering once a week is probably too often given the low light. Don't water on a fixed schedule. Learn to water by weight of the container, finger in the top of the pot, etc so you can give individualized care. Orchid roots kept too wet for too long rot, starting a root death cycle where too much water kills some roots, hence even more overwatering, repeat, repeat.

The rule for light is that it falls of *by half* with each foot from the light source. If you start with 2000FC, then 1 ft away, it is 1000 FC, and 2 feet away it is 500 FC.

For health and vigor you want your phal *in* or within a foot or so of a window or light source.

My best advice to you is to read up on care of phals at Big Leaf Orchids, Robert Bedard Nursery and Bedford Orchids websites.

• mehitabel
    15 years ago

My best advice to both Kristen and Jason is to read up on phal culture at three really good websites that discuss care of phals, and also bringing them to bloom.

At Big Leaf Orchids, Peter Lin has written culture notes specifically for new indoor phal growers. at Bedford Orchids, there is a good culture section, including a discussion of why repotting often is necessary, and also of light, both necessary to the long term health of phals.

Finally, the notes at Robert Bedard Nursery are also good.

• sonnys31_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a orchid plant (Phalaenopsis) that has about 4 stems (8" in height) each one has healty green leaves--there one with two yellow leaves---this is my concern---I water them lighty once aweek--I had them in the house with bright light thery were looking good I recently moved them to my screen porch where they get light-but no direct sun light. Also I have four pots looking good I have one thats flowering -but would like to more flowering out of them---I spay orchid food once a month---
    Thank you
    Sonny from fort pierce FL

• juliebees2009
    12 years ago

I had a huge new phal and it was in bloom when received the pot had 2 sets of leaves but after blooming the leaves turned yellow down at the crown and just fell off top still green so i just marked it up as a older plant and what died was the org. mother plant if anyone has any other suggestion what may have happened let me know the other side of the plant is fine so i guess the old has to dies for the young it was just strange how it died.

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

Do you have a photo?

• eiracapelan
    11 years ago

I have a similar problem, though my orchid is brand new so I cant really know how its been treated earlier... please have a look at my post with pictures if you have the time and knowledge! I really appreciate any help as Im desperate to keep it from dying on me!

A thousand times thanks!

Eira

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orchids/msg0309532431726.html?26325