Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laelia harpophylla Cultural Needs...? Help!!!!!

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 9:44

I'm about to "take the plunge" .... with eyes wide shut, and purchase a few blooming-size plants.

I would love to keep these plant alive and well, but too many web-sites have conflicting info. regarding, light, temps. moisture requirements, etc. for this orchid. Very confusing! I was told that this Laelia is not that "easy"... Yes, no, maybe so?

I will grow these potted plants in a coolish, south facing window, throughout the winter months, then in a very bright, only direct morning sun area in the warm months. I have successfully grown Bl. 'Yellow Bird' under these same conditions, and the plant grew like a weed, and flowered continuously. Do these growing conditions sound OK for this Laelia harp. also?

Any suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks for the input.

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laelia harpophylla Cultural Needs...? Help!!!!!

Your baseline is Bl. Yellow Bird which is three quarters B. nodosa and one quarter L. milleri. For some reason Bl. Yellow Bird is much easier to grow and bloom than B. nodosa in my conditions and both are now in bloom.

Bl. Yellow Bird spent last winter in an unheated glasshouse and is growing in a pot with treated pine bark mix while B. nodosa is growing on a hardwood slab stuck in a large shallow pot without any mixture (it has outgrown its mount) and spent the winter in a glasshouse with some heating.

So??? go to somewhere such as Jay's species site, read up on the three species and maybe the information there will give some clues as to where to position your new plant.

o
RE: Laelia harpophylla Cultural Needs...? Help!!!!!

arthurm:

Been there, done that. Still interested in hearing from members who have tried growing this plant under ordinary conditions in the home. I could never duplicate greenhouse conditions.

Still open to suggestions.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here