Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

what do you use to remove spots from phal leaves

philpet
10 years ago

Hi guys, so I got some phals really beautiful colours ,and healthy roots too. They are potted in spagnum which I don't work well with but thought it best to wait till after the bloom to repot. Anyway the leaves were sprayed with Mancozeb a protective fungicide which left a white film over the leaf. Now to me I hate spotted leaves so I want to remove it, what do you guys use to clean your phals leaves, water does not remove it ( I tried). I heard of lemon juice but I only can get Lime. Also mayonaisse but I don't know if the oil will attract ants or cause burn. My other phals I only use water mix with a little dish liquid so never really had these spots to deal with. So all the sugessions would be very welcome. I would also prefer not to use any chemicals like leaf shines. VELLETA.

Comments (9)

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Lime is fine. Some use milk.

Honestly if you really want to get them out of the moss, you can do it now. Phals are one of the only orchids that generally speaking you can get away with doing that. I've repotted blooming phals more times than I can count and maybe had a plant drop flowers once.

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Terpguy, I repotted the rest of my phals to a bark mix and would prefer if ALL were potted that way. I really tend to overwater and think bark would better suit me. So I can just use the lime stright or mix with water? Velleta

• allymarie
    10 years ago

Hi Velleta,

When I buy phals to give as gifts I clean the leaves with lemon juice diluted in a little water.I believe lime will work also.You might have to go over the leaves a few times with the solution.When the film has been removed I usually wipe the leaves off with water making sure not to leave any of the solution or water in the crown.This has worked very well for me when I have to make orchids look presentable for gift giving.

Allymarie

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Allymarie. So I mix with water. Ok.

• whitecat8
    10 years ago

In my experience and from what I've read, you can repot Phals that are blooming and trim roots in the process.

Full-strength bottled lemon juice and lime juice on a paper towel have removed spots on my Phal leaves when they've just arrived from a commercial grower. I've never rinsed off the leaves right after but make sure there's no liquid in the crown.

I've used RealLemon and RealLime 100% Juice from concentrate, manufactured by the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group.

However, the leaves have never had a white film on them. If your lime juice doesn't work, perhaps the grower can offer options.

WhiteCat8

Here is a link that might be useful: RealLime Juice

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks whitecat, I live in jamaica and have 2 lime trees at home so lucky me. :). I love to see clean leaves,and I am sure my phals like their leaves clean too. I tried getting some of my favourite bark mix from the store but they were out so I am gonna have to wait until I get some to repot. Thanks again. VELLETA

• terpguy
    10 years ago

It's it's always interesting to see everyone's preferences. Me, I have come to grips with the fact that orchid leaves just aren't attractive so I don't care if there is dirt or whatever on them

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terpguy, maybe its the way we view them on a whole. To me they live, breath, likes to take a bath, drinks,eat, get happy or sulk I tend to compare them to myself I feel very happy when I am clean and very uncomfortable when I need a bath, so my husband says they are my babies and you want to know a secret (they are) lol. I just think when they are clean and spotless they make a much better statement. Thanks for commenting. VELLETA

• terpguy
    10 years ago

LOL I remember feeling that way once upon a time. But I guess after growing thousands of plants in some capacity or other that perspective flies out the window.