Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing ghost orchid outdoors in Miami?

Posted by booeyschewy 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 9:56

Anyone have experience growing ghost orchid in South Florida outside? I live in an area that was higher elevation, either hammock or rockland. I have a native pond apple, mahogany, and a number of non-native trees in my yard. I was thinking of buying a legal licensed specimen (from DR I think) and transplanting to my pond apple. Anyone have tips or experiences doing so? I have lots of orchids growing fine on my other trees, though i know ghost orchid is very picky.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing ghost orchid outdoors in Miami?

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 1:58

This orchid is the stuff of dreams, books and movies. If it was easily "growable" most species nuts in the world would have one.
I was just thinking about what I would have to do to the glass-house where I grow Tolumnia Hybrids and various "Cattleyas" including several plants of Encyclia tampensis to copy The Ghost Orchid Habitat.
Increase the shading
Instal controlled heating and cooling.
Instal controlled misting system to keep humidity at the required level.
oF course, the Tolumnia and maybe the rest of the orchids would die.

This post was edited by arthurm on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 2:42

o

Hi
Much is written about the habitat for them ..Maybe replicate that?? in dade county you should have a good shot at it?? gary

o

One option is to contact your local orchid society. In case you're close to the Boca Raton Orchid Society: http://www.brosonline.org/. Other FL societies are here: http://www.orchidmall.com/society.htm

Of course... orchids insist on thriving where they're not supposed to, and vice versa, but info from these folks may help.

You said, "I was thinking of buying a legal licensed specimen (from DR I think) and transplanting to my pond apple." In Florida, can you get a legal plant from a specific organization? That would be cool.

You can find the Ghost Orchid online from at least one U.S. commercial orchid grower.

If you go online, look for Dendrophylax lindenii, the scientific name.

Botanica Ltd. - http://www.botanicaltd.com/index.HTM, has them from time to time, and Oak Hill Gardens has sold them for years. Right now, they're $20 each.

Best, WhiteCat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Dendrophylax lindenii, Oak Hill Gardens

o

There are other leafless options as well that are easier to grow, if you're willing to compromise

o

• Posted by grandy3 sub-tropical 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 10:50

I have grown my under shade cloth for a year now and it has bloomed. So as long as you can keep it moist and shady it should do just fine for you on a tree that will give it bright light no direct sun. I live just north of you in Sarasota which gets a little colder than Miami. You live closer to the natural habitat so the weather should be fine for year round growth on a tree. Good luck!

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 19:19

I love the entry in Oak Hill gardens site ....those guys and gals who write the spiel in orchid catalogues are always super optimists. Nothing is difficult to grow except perhaps this one exception.

o

Anyone interested, in the December edition of the "Orchids Bulletin" there is a good article on ghost and leafless orchids. For what its worth....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here