Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very cool window shelving for orchids, etc.

Posted by pricem11 z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 10:16

Hi there,

I just wanted to share info about this very nice product I've recently come across to make the most of window space for my little collection of Neofinetas, Sedireas, Sophronitis, C. goeringii, D. moniliforme, etc.

These are plexiglass shelves suspended on a steel wire framwork that require only a small finishing nail in the top of a window moulding to mount and stabilize. The creator makes them to order in any number of ways and is a really nice guy to deal with. I'm attaching the link to his site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window plant hanger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very cool window shelving for orchids, etc.

Wow, I am green ...

o

They are cool aren't they? I'm jealous of your awesome Cymbidium collection, snaxs!

Just a disclaimer that occurs to me--I just happened across these shelves while surfing and wanted to share since they're such a cool solution for a lot of orchids. I have no business interest with the creator, except that I'd like to buy a unit for every window in my house!

Mark

o

Mark, those shelves are fabulous and so is your orchid collection! The scene out your windows is lovely too. Thx for posting.

Sheila :)

o

I am tempted to order one. Seems expensive but I'm not sure what to order. Could you explain what you ordered? It appears you have the double shelf?

Please give the details of your set-up.

Thanks,
Jane

o

Those are really nice! I know Mike from michigan has some of these and they look really classy...fantastic find

o

Hi there Jane. These are three-tier, single shelves with the humidity trays. The between shelf spacing is 9 inches I believe. Would suggest that you decide which window you want to use, decide how low you'd like the bottom shelf to fall, and how high the tallest orchid will be (don't forget spikes) to determine the between-shelf spacing. You could do two, three, four shelves on one unit. I wanted my lowest shelf to be high enough that kitties wouldn't be tempted. ;-)

o

Thanks, I think most of my plants are taller than 9 inches. I have baseboard heat under my windows which could also create a problem. Can you just use 2 shelves? I have mostly Catts and Oncids and some Phals. They are all big and 9" would not work.

Jane

o

IMHO over priced. I'll pass.

o

Jane, you can specify whatever spacing you like. These aren't ready made but rather are made to order with the exact dimensions you specify. I chose 9 inches because I'm using them for very small orchids. Tommy, for me, the price is totally worth what I would pay for a couple of nice Neos. To each his own though ;-).

Mark

o

I have to have these shelves!

o

I built some shelves that are somewhat similar to these. I went to IKEA to scope out the glass shelves they carry, having previously purchased a glass shelf from IKEA for my bathroom, and knowing that they often sell individual components of their products. I found glass shelves 15" in length, that had holes drilled on the ends. They were a steal at $2.50 for a pair. The window I wanted to install the shelves in is just shy of 30" wide, so it was ideal. So I used threaded rod, with nuts to hold the shelves at the desired height, and I just hung the whole thing from the ceiling. I made horizontal supports for the shelves out of aluminum channel. If I had not been lucky enough to find these glass pieces at IKEA for the price I did I would probably not have been able to make shelves like this.

Window Shelves

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass shelves

o

Mazel tov Mike! These are absolutely spectacular. I feel an IKEA run coming on.

Mark

o

So awesome Mike! I love the Ikea hack!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here