Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricem11

Very cool window shelving for orchids, etc.

pricem11
15 years ago

Hi there,

I just wanted to share info about this very nice product I've recently come across to make the most of window space for my little collection of Neofinetas, Sedireas, Sophronitis, C. goeringii, D. moniliforme, etc.

{{gwi:202074}}

{{gwi:202075}}

{{gwi:202077}}

{{gwi:202078}}

These are plexiglass shelves suspended on a steel wire framwork that require only a small finishing nail in the top of a window moulding to mount and stabilize. The creator makes them to order in any number of ways and is a really nice guy to deal with. I'm attaching the link to his site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window plant hanger

Comments (13)

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Wow, I am green ...

• pricem11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are cool aren't they? I'm jealous of your awesome Cymbidium collection, snaxs!

Just a disclaimer that occurs to me--I just happened across these shelves while surfing and wanted to share since they're such a cool solution for a lot of orchids. I have no business interest with the creator, except that I'd like to buy a unit for every window in my house!

Mark

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Mark, those shelves are fabulous and so is your orchid collection! The scene out your windows is lovely too. Thx for posting.

Sheila :)

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I am tempted to order one. Seems expensive but I'm not sure what to order. Could you explain what you ordered? It appears you have the double shelf?

Please give the details of your set-up.

Thanks,
    Jane

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Those are really nice! I know Mike from michigan has some of these and they look really classy...fantastic find

• pricem11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there Jane. These are three-tier, single shelves with the humidity trays. The between shelf spacing is 9 inches I believe. Would suggest that you decide which window you want to use, decide how low you'd like the bottom shelf to fall, and how high the tallest orchid will be (don't forget spikes) to determine the between-shelf spacing. You could do two, three, four shelves on one unit. I wanted my lowest shelf to be high enough that kitties wouldn't be tempted. ;-)

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Thanks, I think most of my plants are taller than 9 inches. I have baseboard heat under my windows which could also create a problem. Can you just use 2 shelves? I have mostly Catts and Oncids and some Phals. They are all big and 9" would not work.

Jane

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

IMHO over priced. I'll pass.

• pricem11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane, you can specify whatever spacing you like. These aren't ready made but rather are made to order with the exact dimensions you specify. I chose 9 inches because I'm using them for very small orchids. Tommy, for me, the price is totally worth what I would pay for a couple of nice Neos. To each his own though ;-).

Mark

• bonnie_2006
    15 years ago

I have to have these shelves!

• pricem11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mazel tov Mike! These are absolutely spectacular. I feel an IKEA run coming on.

Mark

• Whovian
    10 years ago

So awesome Mike! I love the Ikea hack!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES