Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newb alert: whats my orchid doing?!

Posted by shodorov (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 10:37

Got this at home depot about 6 months ago. It lost its flowers about 3 months ago so I cut off the stalk and kept watering it... we just got back from a vacation to discover these runners(?) There are at least 15 of them both above the potting mix level and below (see pic)

what do I need to do next?

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newb alert: whats my orchid doing?!

Those are new roots! What media are you growing it in? Bottom leaves look a bit limp. How often do you water it?

Christopher

o

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester, MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 11:31

Roots they are. Here in Masachusetts all my phals are potted in sphagnum and are allowed to go almost dry then are watered. They all are in slotted, unglazed clay pots and are presently either in bud or flowering.
Good luck. As far as cutting the stem after they flower you should wait until the stem drys out before cutting.

o

Beautiful roots. I have never let my spike dry out. I cut them off as soon as the flowers die or I'm tired of them. I do not want a reflowering spike. I want fresh new spikes each year.

Good growing!

Jane

o

there are no around 20+ of these... do I need to repot it in something bigger? the medium is whatever it came in from Home Depot... looks like coarse bark of some sort.

o

You have good healthy roots. You can continue to do whatever you are doing, the plant appears healthy. I would wait until Spring to repot unless the mix looks broken down and soggy. The pot size is fine, don't go bigger.

What zone are you in?

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here