Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Original and Natural Slow Relese Fertilizer

Posted by MunasingheAnanda none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 10:56

The Original and Natural Slow Release Fertilizer

I have successfully experimented fertilizing Scorpion Orchid (Arachnis Maggie) solely with dead leaves of jack (Artocarpus Integrifolia) trees abundantly available in my garden. No chemical fertilizers were used.

The orchid was planted in a 20 litre can full of coconut husks and dead jack leaves left outdoors and watered if found dry.

I am trying it also with other orchids using wads of dead leaves in the pot and tucked in axils.

I wish to see your comments.

This post was edited by MunasingheAnanda on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 11:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Original and Natural Slow Relese Fertilizer

Its all well and good. But the nutrients aren't readily available and require breakdown. As in nature this form of "fertilizing" still creates the issue of limiting nutrients that synthetic (and to an extent, even some of the organic stuff like seaweed extract) are designed to eliminate.

At the same time, they are adapted to limited nutrient situations so can grow just fine without synthetic fertilizers. The abundance of nutrients afforded the plant by fertilizers are really an added bonus.

And of course I will never criticize anyone for using a natural/composting approach. Just be careful that the composing of the leaves doesn't create an issue with water-logging the potting medium.

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 0:30

Potting mixes vary around the planet according to climate and local materials available.

An experiment without a control doesn't really tell you anything. Maybe the results are due to a better than average growing season.

I remember telling a Scientist that i was getting good results with my orchids using silica rock in the mix. He sniffed...."sand"...and, "did you run a trial".

This post was edited by arthurm on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 0:55

o

Dear arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST
Dear terpguy 7

Your views accepted and appreciated. Thank You.

arthurm Sydney - I realize that my experiment is without a control.

terpguy 7- Composting of leaves does create water logging and rotting. However Scorpion orchid is a very hardy plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here