Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

The tortoise is in the garage, the Cypripediums are in the fridge

orchidnick
10 years ago

My grand kids have a California desert tortoise which spends the winter hibernating in a box in the garage. My Cypripediums and Pleiones spend the winter dormancy in the fridge. Both are there, Black Friday will start in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner, winter is here!

Yesterday I dug out the Cyps, washed off the roots and put each in Zip Lock bags with their tag and then placed them in the fridge until early Feb. 2 of them are producing new growth. All of them have 1/2" or smaller new growths called 'noses', that's normal but 2 of them have full on 6" new growth forming.

Does anyone have experience with this. It's out of phase growth, should it be removed or should the plants be allowed to do their thing. At this point I'm letting them do their thing but am open to suggestions.

Nick

Comments (4)

• terpguy
    10 years ago

I'd be incline to cut off the growth and force dormancy. But that is based off my experience with non orchids. Never have grown cyps. But I think the concept is the same. If you left them planted outside ( let's assume hardiness for the sake of argument), the frost/cold will get the new growth anyways. They'd still come back the next year just fine.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have them in a cold greenhouse which never the less is not allowed to get colder than 50F. The new growth will be fine. I have talked to 2 growers, Fraser's Thimble Farm and Raising Rarities and both have no experience with this but were inclined to let it grow just to see what would happen. I was hoping someone had actually gone through the process.

Thanks for your input, I know what you are saying.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's winter alright. 92F in my backyard this afternoon! Only saving grace is the low humidity.

Nick

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I vote for leaving one in the cool greenhouse, the other cutting off the growth and sticking it in the fridge. Never grew them, but would be interested in the results.

I know winter bulbs and if they get hit with a warm spell, they will grow leaves. Some will stop growing after the snow flies, but others which grew leaves, will not flower the following spring. At least with tulips and daffodils.

Jane

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz