Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Tag, Do you know this plant?

Posted by richardol Santa Royale CA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 11:12

I lost the tag on this plant during repotting. It is a species from Africa, West Africa I think. This is the first time it has bloomed for me, and all seven pseudobulbs are blooming, even previously unbloomed.

Pseudobulbs are 3-4 inches tall, generally pear shaped, two leaves on top, sheath forms as soon as the PB matures.

Even Genus suggestions would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Tag, Do you know this plant?

Liparis ?

Brooke

o

Yes, Liparis rings a bell. That narrows it down to 250 OrchidSpecies.com pages to go through.

As soon as I can get a good look at the individual flowers I should be able to find it.

This grows well for me, but has never bloomed before and I have had it 5 years. I have moved it around each year. This year it was in Sonoma all summer, very bright and in a hot/warm location. A month ago I moved it to Napa to a wetter and darker location.

Still looking for species suggestions, tho. 250 pages is a lot to look at.

o

I'm pretty sure its Liparis viridiflora. I won one of these from Kawamoto Orchids a couple of months ago.

o

I had to check my Liparis name and it is condylobulbon. I looked at the viridiflora pics and the blooms are so similar I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

I grow mine wet, warm and shady in a net pot with sphag/tree fern. It is an agressive grower, always making new growths.

AND it has a new name - the Liparis are now Stichorkis.

Brooke

o

I looked at the Liparis viridiflora page and immediately recognized the picture. That's what I have.

Thanks, everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here